What's new

USHE Announcement: Far and Away (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Terry Watson
Terry Watson said:
Then you were lucky. Many weren't as here in Sydney, it was shown in a relatively small theatre that had trouble holding focus. Howard apparently here for the opening thought the presentation good. I and many did not. Projection problems plagued the release perhaps because the format had not been used for so long and many theatres were using old equipment. F&A turned out to be a wasted opportunity which only did so so and no where near as expected. Result : no more 70mm.
In Sydney for the first week F&A was shown in 70MM at Greater Union's George St complex in cinema #3, which at that time was the largest screen in Sydney. (Larger than Hoyt's cinema #7).It also had a season at the Astra in Parramatta, again in 70MM - the only time in this city that a film had a simultaneous release in the format. The image in cinema 3 was huge, but you are correct in your comment re the image. I remember thinking at the time that the 70MM clarity just was not there and the sound was somewhat underwhelming. Not a bad film but the presentation did not help its cause. Sadly when the company redeveloped the site #3 was "twinned" into two much smaller auditoriums - same fate that happened to the two largest cinemas in the Hoyt's complex next door.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Being the first film to be shot in 65 MM in 20 years, I watched this several times in its original release in different theatres in Los Angles and picture was Jaw Droppingly good. In fact many patrons in the theatres who did not know what 70 MM is, commented on how gorgeous the picture was.

The Century Plaza theatre in Century City had an ARRI765 65mm camera on display in the lobby. It was there where I received the best experience with Far And Away, where along with the beautiful picture, the six track magnetic audio was played through the awesome HPS-4000 sound system. It was truly unforgettable

As far as the BD is concerned, I have little faith in Universal to scan this from original 65 MM elements. After all, they have to keep their reputation as being one of the worst studios in handling catalog releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks