What's new

USHE Announcement: Dante's Peak (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Promotion: Dante's Peak Blu-ray Release

Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 7/26/2011 DANTE'S PEAK Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 2/7/1997 Synopsis: Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton star in Dante’s Peak, an action-packed story about the incomparable power of nature and mankind’s unending will to survive. When unusual seismic activity is detected in the charming little Pacific Northwest town of Dante’s Peak, U.S. Geological Survey volcanologist Harry Dalton (Brosnan) is called in to investigate. Certain that a long-dormant volcano is set to erupt and the townspeople are in danger, he convinces Mayor Rachel Wando (Hamilton) to take action. Now the race is on to evacuate the town before it’s too late in this gripping adventure that’s filled with adrenaline-fueled action and spectacular special effects! Blu-ray Widescreen (61115278) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20729-4-9 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 7/26/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 49 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS 5.1 Surround
Spanish DTS 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Spanish
French
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Getting Close to the Show: The Making of Dante’s Peak
• Feature Commentary with Director Roger Donaldson and Product Designer Dennis Washington
• My Scenes
• Pocket Blu
DVD Widescreen Collector's Edition(61020149) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20149-2-5 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 8/23/2005 PreOrder Date: 7/19/2005 Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 49 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Spanish
Edition: Collector's Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: PG-13 CARA Rating: [deleted]Disaster Related Peril and Gore Bonus Features: • Getting Close to the Show: The Making of Dante's Peak
• Feature Commentary with Director Roger Donaldson and Production Designer Dennis Washington
• Storyboards/Scenes: Digital Domain Still Plates
• Hot Springs Sequence (Storyboards & Final Sequence)
• Pyroclastic Flow Sequence (Storyboards & Final Sequence)
• Production Design Sketches
• Poster Campaign
• Still Archives
• The Shooting Script

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love this movie. I hope they do a good job on it. I'm happy to see they've retained the "making of" and the commentary from the DVD. So why can't they include all the extras contained on the DVD on the blu?. No indication of an msrp.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Extras from the standard DVD of Universal's PETER PAN are also absent from the BluRay. I especially miss the alternate ending.

I bought the European BluRay version of DANTE'S PEAK, and the picture and sound are excellent. It was region free. I will be double dipping however, as my copy had a couple of very loud digital "crackles."

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I love this movie. I hope they do a good job on it. I'm happy to see they've retained the "making of" and the commentary from the DVD. So why can't they include all the extras contained on the DVD on the blu?. No indication of an msrp.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by John Morgan

Extras from the standard DVD of Universal's PETER PAN are also absent from the BluRay. I especially miss the alternate ending.

I bought the European BluRay version of DANTE'S PEAK, and the picture and sound are excellent. It was region free. I will be double dipping however, as my copy had a couple of very loud digital "crackles."
Is there any advantage to the European Dante's Peak?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Looking forward to this one....Hope this does not side-track the threat toooooo much....but with the release of this, might 20th Century Fox look at VOLCANO. The transfer is not even anamorphic....but the movie is off the wall fun...as long as i am not the one running from the quakes and lava.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
bob kaplan said:
Looking forward to this one....Hope this does not side-track the threat toooooo much....but with the release of this, might 20th Century Fox look at VOLCANO. The transfer is not even anamorphic....but the movie is off the wall fun...as long as i am not the one running from the quakes and lava.
Volcano is on Netflix streaming in HD. I'm watching it with my son right. You're right--fun disaster mayhem...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I completely forgot about Volcano - hope it makes it to Blu someday. I thoroughly enjoyed Dante's Peak and will be picking up the Blu-ray. These kinds of visually (and sonically) impressive movies really do benefit from being on hi-def. And the movie itself isn't too bad either.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The HD DVD of Dante's Peak looked very nice, so I'm expecting similar results with the Blu-ray release. The sound should be an upgrade. Seems like the HD DVD was Dolby Digital Plus.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
"It's coffee time! Coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee! Cappuccino, java, YES!"

Bought the HD-DVD for something like $2 in a used bin late last year - another reason to keep my HD-DVD player in use. I really like this movie and hope the blu is an upgrade, but not sure I'll replace the HD-DVD yet.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched this and I'm very happy with this blu-ray. The colors are good, picture is sharp. I never noticed any artifacts, even during smoke and cloud effects. Skin tones are always good and closeups of actors are superb. Much of this movie is on the darker side after the volcano explodes and the sun is blotted out. Movies like that usually lose a lot of detail, but not here. I watched this on a Samsung 46" lcd. The sound is bigger and fuller than my DVD. Especially in the big effect scenes there is a lot of activity in my rears and my subwoofer was active. Not to the extent of a more recent movie, but I'm still happy with the sound. There's a making of, commentary, and trailer from the DVD. I don't think they dropped any extra from the DVD, but I'm not sure. If you like this movie, this is a no-brainer purchase.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I couldn't find any reviews for this but decided to grab it anyway - it was only $15. I agree the PQ is very good. Atrocious artwork. They seem to get worse after each successive reissue.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched Dante's Peak again with my wife a couple of nights ago. We both agreed that it's a really good disaster flick. The blu-ray could use an upgrade imho, since the PQ is about a "B".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks