What's new

USHE Announcement: Conan: The Complete Quest (Blu-ray Double Feature) (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Accoding to DVDcompare, for the Barbarian, the French steelbook, the Italian re-issue* and the Australian BDs all have the uncut international/extended version with corrected mono and 5.1 audio. So that triples your chances of acquisition.

The French steelbook contains both films; its Destroyer disc, along with all other releases, only contains the 'problematic' 5.1 remix. The UK BD is unique in having original, error-free uncompressed mono audio, so that's the one to go for.

All discs mentioned here are region free. You're welcome! :)

*Careful: it's visually identical to the original; the only way to tell which you have is to play it.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brent,

Just to confirm...

So, the U.K. release is the one to get if I want the original audio. Yes?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I just want the original Conan. Will check out the Aussie release. Thank you for this information.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
All discs mentioned here are region free. You're welcome! :)

iF you were replying to me, yes, I know all that, thanks.
I mentioned that in addition to the original audio and corrected 5.1 it would be nice to have a new 4k scan.
From what I know the existing blurays don't come from 4k. Maybe not even 2k?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the heads-up on the Aussie disk. Came to $13 and change shipped from JB Hi Fi.

Mike,

Does that link take you to an Australian site or the U.S. Amazon?

I see $23.xx as the price.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Hi Ron, I linked to US Amazon as you and most of the posters in these forums are based there. However, JB Hi-Fi are generally very reasonably priced for BDs and in this case at least, they look like the place to go! I hope you'll update us here with your impressions once you've received and watched your disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Ron, I linked to US Amazon as you and most of the posters in these forums are based there. However, JB Hi-Fi are generally very reasonably priced for BDs and in this case at least, they look like the place to go! I hope you'll update us here with your impressions once you've received and watched your disc.

Mike, just to confirm, this is the actual product page?....

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/action/conan-the-barbarian/285676/

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
When I saw the price at the link, I tried going straight to the JB HI FI site (which I got to by just googling JB HI FI). They have the same disk for 7.98 Australian dollars. Shipping is more than the disk, but the whole thing comes to 16 Australian dollars and change, which translates to 13+ US dollars. (Sorry that my "from JB HI FI" statement at the end of the post wasn't explicit enough.)

PS> Ron - Yes. That is the page.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, going to order from that page directly. Mike, thanks for all your help. I have been holding off buying Conan forever because of the botched up audio on the U.S. release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally got around to watching the Australian release of Conan The Barbarian.

I was floored that a Universal picture now had the FOX logo attached to it.

The Blu-ray looked pretty darn good. The 5.1 mix, however, was disappointing and almost non-existent.

I am happy, at the very least, that I have the "purist" copy in my hands.

Thank you, all for the assistance.

iQRUZN

Auditioning
Real Name
Preston
I'm a huge fan of both the movie and the incredible Basil Poledouris score of Conan the Barbarian so it has pained me ever since the initial 2011 U.S. Blu-ray release that the choral cues were missing most obvious in the Riders of Doom sequence near the beginning of the film as described in the previous comments. Being that I didn't own a Blu-ray of Conan the Destroyer I decided to take a chance and order Conan: The Complete Quest (2016) which means a double dip on Conan the Barbarian.

Miraculously, the missing choral cues have been restored! I just wanted to make that clear so that if anyone else is considering purchasing it, you can do so with confidence. The current price on Amazon is $12.49. It's a good deal for both films on Blu-ray.

Where you notice the restoration the most during the Riders of Doom sequence is the exact moment when the fire is thrown along the snow floor into one of the village huts and then continues into the dog attack on Conan's father. The choral cues are all there the way it should be.

One strange thing is the label on the Conan the Barbarian disc is dated 2011 and looks exactly the same as the original 2011 disc. But the choral cues have been restored to where they should be. I guess they didn't bother to change the label design or update the date on the disc.

I have not viewed the Conan the Destroyer disc so I'm not sure if any problems noted above were fixed. I'll report anything I notice after viewing. Below is the link for the Conan: The complete Quest Blu-ray set on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Conan-Comple...1-1&keywords=conan+the+complete+quest+blu-ray

Attachments

• Conan the Complete Quest Blu-ray set.jpg
    Conan the Complete Quest Blu-ray set.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks