What's new

USHE Announcement: Brazil (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
DVD Beaver confirms that this Blu-ray includes the theatrical version of the film: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/brazil.htm

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the shorter cut - it's too bad Criterion didn't offer it in their otherwise exhaustive set.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm actually glad that this is the US theatrical cut. The Criterion version may be Gilliam's final word on the film, but the US cut was approved by him, so there's value in having it available (I don't think it was ever officially released on DVD). Maybe Criterion could do a Blade Runner-style set with the original UK cut, the US cut, the "Love Conquers All" version, and the final director's cut. Might be excessive, but not unprecedented.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That lineup is exactly what I'm hoping Criterion gives us Bryan.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Much as I love Criterion, they are generally not very good about including multiple cuts. I know the Brazil DVD had the "love conquers all" version, and the DVD (but not Blu-ray!) version of The Last Emperor includes the extended TV version, but except for cases like that, where a significantly different version of the film was created for a different market or venue, they don't seem interested in exploring different versions of a film. Are there any other Criterion releases that include multiple versions? I'm not optimistic about the theatrical version of Brazil being included on Criterion's Blu-ray, so I'm glad it's available for those who want it. I don't believe it was ever released on DVD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Criterion has released several titles with multiple cuts. The two you mentioned, Fanny and Alexander, Scenes from a Marriage, Mr. Arkadin, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, just off the top of my head. They've also released some alternate language versions for early sound films, such as the UK version of M.

In regards to Brazil, I imagine that Criterion will at the very least include the 'Love Conquers All' version as upscaled 1080p, simply because the history of the film and the bonus material in the Criterion set call for it to be present (particularly the commentary). I say upscaled, because the elements for that cut are not in the best of shape, and it is more of a curio than a true version to watch.

As for The Last Emperor, I get the feeling that it was left off the Blu-ray because a) Bertolucci considers the TV version as inferior and merely a contractual obligation, b) the elements being far poorer by comparison to the theatrical version, and c) that it was one of Criterion's first Blu-ray releases.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Count me as waiting for Criterion. If they include "Love Conquers All", I would imagine it would just be the DVD, since the version included on the Criterion DVD set was 4:3 and I fail to see the utility of upscaling an MAR image. The only way this would be on a full-fledged BD is if Universal licenced quality film elements to Criterion for that purpose, and since the history of LCA paints Uni in an unfavourable light, I doubt they would do so.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The LCA on the Criterion set is most likely a broadcast master (there are obvious spots for commercial breaks), which I'd imagine is probably the best surviving version of that cut. It's well-known that this cut was sold to television, but does anyone know when and where it aired?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I believe the Love Conquers All version aired in 1986. It was U.S. syndication. I saw it and was horrified.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Was it one of those "Universal Pictures Debut Network" kind of things? I believe that's also how the Frankenstein version of Legend was shown in syndication (with the extra bits from the UK cut).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Something like that, yes. It's been 24-25 years, so my memory is a little hazy. Now that I think about it, it may have been 1987. I remember commenting to a coworker that the cut version of the movie aired. He was just as shocked as I was.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
cafink said:
... I'm not optimistic about the theatrical version of Brazil being included on Criterion's Blu-ray, so I'm glad it's available for those who want it. I don't believe it was ever released on DVD.
I remember how sad I was when I sold my VHS of the TC. I like it for several reasons, including the closing shot that fades into the clouds from the opening then credits roll. I believe that's how it is. MUCH prefer that. Will be buying this. Can't wait! ...will buy the director's too once it's out. No prob. Now, if they would do Time Bandits justice...and give me the rest of Gilliam's works

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Isn't the European Cut owned by Fox and not Universal? That would explain why it's never been made available on home video in North America.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Lord Dalek said:
Isn't the European Cut owned by Fox and not Universal? That would explain why it's never been made available on home video in North America.
Until now, the European cut is the only one that's been available in North America. The studios divide title by territory, not by edit.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Worth

Until now, the European cut is the only one that's been available in North America. The studios never divide title by territory, not by edit.

The European cut to the best of my knowledge has NEVER been released on video in the US. Its either been the US cut or the Criterion edit (which is close but not exactly the same thing which probably explains your confusion).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Lord Dalek said:
The European cut to the best of my knowledge has NEVER been released on video in the US. Its either been the US cut or the Criterion edit (which is close but not exactly the same thing which probably explains your confusion).

Is the original Universal DVD the same as the Criterion then? I know the case states that it's the American theatrical cut, but I've always heard that it was in fact the European edit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks