What's new

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Based on Kevin's initial review, I'm afraid that I won't be spending the money on the complete set. Too many of my personal favorite titles sound like substandard transfers that do not improve on the DVD transfers. I might buy a few indvidual releases if they are released separately at some future point. I'll continue to read other reviews as well, but I am disheartened by what I have heard so far about this set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the look ahead Kevin! I can't wait to see these myself and to read the short review.
After I read RAH's A Few Words about Rear Window, I was pleased and disturbed. Kevin's thoughts are in line with RAH's conclusion that it's a satisfying disc and will provide the viewer with a nice presentation. But his comments makes me wonder about the whole home video industry and what is considered a proper restoration and what is good enough for the home video market.
I can see that there is one way to do something from RAH's perspective. And the work RAH did for Rear Window not being used by Universal is odd. Doesn't Universal own what RAH did? Why did Universal not use RAH's work on Rear Window as he said?
Perhaps all these transfers to blu-ray for this new Universal set had to be done by Universal people? And perhaps there is simply a certain process they are using driven by a process that will meet a certain standard they set just for the home video market needs. So it's not a proper film restoration. I'm sure you guys have talked about this before, so perhaps I'm not asking anything new.
The Man Who Knew Too Much is not one of my favorites. I've seen it twice I think. Yet it's a constant source of frustration that I read from every video release. I do intend to watch it when I get the set. If this film is so hard to get right on home video, is it simply a matter of the film elements being what they are, or the optical processes that were used then that make it so hard to transfer? ( I'm really curious now to see the earlier version coming from Criterion too)
I'm really glad Vertigo looks great! Similarly I'm glad The Birds appears okay. But given the optical effects of that movie, I can deal with any shortcomings.
From a big picture point of view, I'm really happy to see this set finally come out. From the highest technical standpoint, it may not be 100%. I look back to 1996 or so and remember the first time I saw Vertigo on the first issue laserdiscs. Those early Hitchcock laserdisc were great to see, but also, they will look terrible compared to what we can have today. I don't think anything was done except to transfer the film elements as they were to laserdisc.
I think we in a great time of riches for home video releases! So perhaps the film elements are in really rough shape and this is as good as they could get? RAH feels from the pure technical film restoration point of view, these could be miles better, but are good enough for some titles for home video. I look at it as miles ahead of past releases! Just think, we are really spoiled. The home video industry is only about 30 years old. Before that, it was unheard of for the regular film fan to even own them. And back then I doubt there was much restoration going on just for a video tape or laserdisc. So to own them now on shiny little discs in pretty high quality transfers is a great thing! I'm not saying I'm lowering my standards and accepting less then 100%, if every release is as good as North By Northwest was, I'd be trilled, but I'm also understanding that there are circumstances for every film.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jobla /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1410#post_3994344
Based on Kevin's initial review, I'm afraid that I won't be spending the money on the complete set. Too many of my personal favorite titles sound like substandard transfers that do not improve on the DVD transfers. I might buy a few indvidual releases if they are released separately at some future point. I'll continue to read other reviews as well, but I am disheartened by what I have heard so far about this set.

I agree with you. I cancelled my order. I'll wait for singles of ones I want or until the two titles are corrected. Thanks Kevin for the heads up.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Please be aware that I don't anticipate singles being available for these titles on Blu-ray outside of Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds, presumably next year. And again, I'll be very happy to be proven wrong on that count.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
ahollis said:
I agree with you.   I cancelled my order.  I'll wait for singles of ones I want or until the two titles are corrected.  Thanks Kevin for the heads up.
That's what I'm doing.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for your early thoughts Kevin I will probably have to cancel my pre-order again for the 2nd time as Marnie was one of the titles I really wanted to see a decent job on & here in the UK Universal have put this set back until 12th Nov (from 5th Nov) I doubt to fix anything more like to press more copies as they keep selling out the pre-order allocation on amazon!
Not sure I want to pay £100 for some sub-standard Hitchcocks even though the deluxe packaging looks superb I cannot justify £100 for the decent transfers when Marnie & Family Plot are so sub std although Marnie I believe always had the soft focus I cannot believe better results could not be gained from revisiting this title.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I watched "The Man Who Knew Too Much" on Cinemax HD not too long ago, and I don't remember it being awful. When I get the new blu-ray, it will be interesting to compare.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm particularly sad about The Man Who Knew Too Much as this is a favourite ... so I have to say I totally agree with Persianimmortal
Koroush Ghazi when he said this set was the greatest calamity ever to befall mankind. Well, I'd perhaps modify that to this Century, since the 2nd World War was pretty bad too.
Then again, a friend thought the Sydney Swans winning the World AFL Football Grand Final was the worst calamity -- I myself thought that was one of the great triumphs of mankind, when Australia took on the world and came out on top. And Cadel Evans winning the Tour de France without drugs was up there too. All those and more will be eclipsed though if Universal recalls and reissues The Man Who Knew Too Much.
Ah well. At least I just got news from Amazon UK that they're shipping today the great Tati duo Mon Oncle and Jour de Fete. No recalls needed from BFI product!
Cheers from Anthony in Woodend

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
While those who choose to sit on their wallets and pout about this, that and the other not being perfect...the less persnickety people like me will be watching and enjoying these great films in the best looking versions available for home viewing.

The sad truth is that instead of supporting this catalog release and showing the studios that we are willing to spend our money on them, certain people will listen to the industry insiders (and wannabees) whose ratings bar are set too high, and not buy this set. This, despite the fact that the majority of the transfers are great or nearly so for us 'average' people.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
mikeyhitchfan said:
While those who choose to sit on their wallets and pout about this, that and the other not being perfect...the less persnickety people like me will be watching and enjoying these great films in the best looking versions available for home viewing.
The sad truth is that instead of supporting this catalog release and showing the studios that we are willing to spend our money on them, certain people will listen to the industry insiders (and wannabees) whose ratings bar are set too high, and not buy this set. This, despite the fact that the majority of the transfers are great or nearly so for us 'average' people.
Easy there. While I'm one of the average people who will be buying this set in a couple of days, and I agree that some of the reactions have been a bit over the top, I don't think we should start abusing people who have the expertise to know a problematic transfer when they see one.
However the point you raise, and which I also raised a bit earlier, remains - if we consumers don't buy this set, won't that in fact result in Universal spending less money on restoring and maintaining these films? As a genuine point of interest, what do people suggest that we do? What can we do? How, for example, do we get Universal to invest money into doing a proper restoration of The Man Who Knew Too Much?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
mikeyhitchfan said:
The sad truth is that instead of supporting this catalog release and showing the studios that we are willing to spend our money on them...
When the "them" in question is inferior product, then NOT spending money on them sends a message as well. I'm not interesting in spending $200 for a nice version of "Vertigo", I'm interested in spending $200 on the 15 films being offered. 5 are great, the rest are "good enough" to "terrible". The numbers don't work for me so I wont be buying at full price, I'll wait for a clearance sale or until a better product shows up. I fully understand that their are much bigger fans of these films then me, and I hope those that do buy the set are happy with it.

And theirs nothing pouty or juvenile about that decision. It's common sense. I mean, this is Universal we're talking about. They're owned by some of the largest corporations on the bloody planet. If they don't give a shit about spending money to support the films with proper budgets, then why should I be expected to shell out and support their compromised product at full retail?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1410#post_3994586
Easy there. While I'm one of the average people who will be buying this set in a couple of days, and I agree that some of the reactions have been a bit over the top, I don't think we should start abusing people who have the expertise to know a problematic transfer when they see one.
However the point you raise, and which I also raised a bit earlier, remains - if we consumers don't buy this set, won't that in fact result in Universal spending less money on restoring and maintaining these films? As a genuine point of interest, what do people suggest that we do? What can we do? How, for example, do we get Universal to invest money into doing a proper restoration of The Man Who Knew Too Much?
You cannot move anyone to invest in saving their films.

As the majority of the set is more than fine, I suggest a purchase.

Enjoy the set, and let's hope that things work out better in the future for the films at risk.

As to MWKTM, I cannot believe that anyone involved in the production, from the cinematographer, who is made to look like an imbecile, The Eastman Kodak company, which apparently created horrific film stock, the costume designers and fabricators, who had no idea what colors looked like, the production designer, who was apparently also a dolt, and last the director, who must have had an extremely odd sense of humor, or was on drugs during the entire production.

None of the people involved in the production of TMWKTM appear to have been professionals. Just a bunch of hacks, getting together playing dress-up in costumes that continually shifted color. Probably bad drugs again.

Stoned and drunk. 24/7.

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1410#post_3994587
When the "them" in question is inferior product, then NOT spending money on them sends a message as well. I'm not interesting in spending $200 for a nice version of "Vertigo", I'm interested in spending $200 on the 15 films being offered. 5 are great, the rest are "good enough" to "terrible". The numbers don't work for me so I wont be buying at full price, I'll wait for a clearance sale or until a better product shows up. I fully understand that their are much bigger fans of these films then me, and I hope those that do buy the set are happy with it.

And theirs nothing pouty or juvenile about that decision. It's common sense. I mean, this is Universal we're talking about. They're owned by some of the largest corporations on the bloody planet. If they don't give a shit about spending money to support the films with proper budgets, then why should I be expected to shell out and support their compromised product at full retail?

I'm in full agreement.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
MatS, I can and will.

The actual content on the Psycho disc, from the Main Menu forward is identical to the disc I reviewed here two years ago.

But the opening Universal logo is different. It isn't the same one they were using before the 100th Anniversary version. It's a version that includes "universalstudios.com" in the lower center.

That's the change.

I strive for accuracy in all things.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1410#post_3994589

As the majority of the set is more than fine, I suggest a purchase.

RAH
This is all I'm saying. Sorry if I sounded insulting. To each their own. I don't like the current price but I cannot wait. Hopefully next year some individual titles will be released so more can enjoy.

SimonLDT

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Hey all. Been reading the forums for a few months now and have finally decided to join.
I'm curious to know why Family Plot, Marnie and The Man Who Knew Too Much are so bad. For Mr Harris to make the 'recall' statement, it must be pretty bad. However, how did these titles look on the DVD masterpiece collection? (I don't own it myself).
Let's be honest here, 60-80% of this set are just recycled masters from 2004-5, just encoded in AVC 1080p. Universal are lazy and cheap. I reckon they've probably only actually rescanned Vertigo and The Birds (and possibly Rear Window). So, if the majority of these are old masters, why do they look so bad? Were the DVD's this bad too?
It's a major shame too that all Hitchcock films don't get the treatment they deserve. But what can we do as consumers? In my opinion 'nothing'. If we don't buy it, the studio won't release further titles - There's no money to be made after all, so why the effort? But if we buy it, we are praising their cheap ass efforts and they'll just continue, business as usual. It's really a lose-lose situation all round.
What I do not understand is why Universal don't want to PRESERVE these films. Surely a scan in 4k or 8k from whatever materials have survived over the years is surely a worthwhile investment for them as a company? They can double dip consumers for many years to come with special editions, single releases, stream-able in 4k (if/when it happens), maybe even another release on disc if anything greater than BD comes out in then next 10 years or so. Not only that but they will hold a great reputation of releasing stunning 'true to the source available' films and increase sales all round. Of course, it costs money to do this, but surely it's best to do it now rather than later. What if a master gets damaged/lost or becomes too problematic in the future?
Criterion have it right. They may not make much money (only from what I've heard - so may not be true) but they have respect for the films and make their releases to be the best they can be on whatever format. They have a disadvantage though compared to Universal as the majority of titles they release are not hugely commercial. Masters of Cinema are another.
Then again, most of the big studios are exactly the same when it comes to respecting the film and the consumer (which isn't surprising considering they just like lining their pockets and don't give a damn about the films) - Haven't they learned from what has happened to many films from the 20's-30's (and some after that period too)? Many with missing scenes, too damaged, poor copies, etc.
Although I am NOT happy with all these poor transfers. If they are in fact the DVD masters in HD I guess I can live with that until (and hopefully) something better comes along. But, have these been butchered further from the DVD editions is my question. I'm sure a couple of members here can do comparisons once the sets start arriving.
Apologies for my ramblings. Just wanted to put in my 2 pence worth. :)
My wish = License all these to Criterion/MOC and get it done the right way. :D

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
That a high-def master was done several years ago, doesn't make it bad. Some studios were doing high-def masters at the time they were preparing dvd releases in anticipation of high-def video options. Their thinking was ... why go back to the well at additional costs later. So, I don't know whether they can be faulted for that thinking. Now, with releases like the Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray, the bar that we have for classic films becomes quite high, yet from the studio's perspective, revenue and margin are not what they want. It's a tough situation.
Simon,
You talk of doing scans as an "investment" for the future ... which seems reasonable until you factor in that the film industry is not a reasonable industry but one of 'what have you done for me lately.' The guy taking the hit on his books for the scans wants to have a job tomorrow - not getting a thank you note from the guy that replaced him. Tough racket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks