USER DEFAULT on Rotel RSP1066

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Lindgren, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

Hello!
    I have a Rotel RSP1066, firmware 1.42, and USER DEFAULT settings don't seem to be saved. I do my setup (speaker settings, sub settings etc) and then go to DEFAULT SETUP -> USER DEFAULT SET, change to YES and hit ENTER. That should save the settings, according to the manual.
    I then choose USER DEFAULT, change NO to YES and hit ENTER. The RSP1066 shuts off and on and voila, I have factory default settings, NOT my saved settings!
    Should it shut off and on when you choose USER DEFAULT? I know that it does that for FACTORY DEFAULT.
    Has anyone successfully saved (and recalled) user settings on a RSP1066?

2. Daniel Lindgren

Come on, someone must have tried this ...

3. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

Hey Daniel,
    I was hoping to see a reply on this myself--the Rotel manual seems to me a little ambiguous as to what this feature is really good for. Frankly, I never got that far back in the manual until you brought this up.
    Once I did my set-up I just exited out of OSD and began playing movies and music. I've done a little bit of tweaking here and there, but none of the changes have been lost when I exited the menu.
    Is the "User default" suppose to be saved if you do a "full" power down of the unit (no ac)? Can multiple user defaults be saved?
    I know you may not have the answer to these questions because you're trying to get through the basic initial function, but I was just wondering...maybe somebody will chime in soon--if not, I'll try it myself. [​IMG]

4. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

Daniel: I just tried to execute the User Default on my unit (I don't know which version it is, but my dealer received it last week from Rotel). After setting the User Default to "Yes" and pressing "Enter" the main menu then came up on the screen...and that was it. No shut down, and when I went back into "Default" the settings were all set for "No." So, I don't get it...

5. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

My understanding of it is as follows:

a) You need to first save the user default settings
    b) Once this is done, assuming you have made changes to the settings, you then select user default/yes and press enter this will restore the user default settings.

I haven't tried this on my unit but will do so over the weekend. I will get back to you.

John

6. Daniel Lindgren

Hello!

John_W_Jr: Congrats, it seems to work for you! No such luck for me though ...

JohnSC: You are correct in your assumptions. Unfortunately, when I choose to restore my previously saved USER DEFAULT settings, the RSP1066 is restarted with factory default settings. I'm 99% sure that I'm doing everything right - I've tried 4-5 times and I'm getting tired of redoing all custom labels etc.

I have contacted Mike Sheehan, he sent me a new firmware (1.43?) but it had no effect.

Hopefully this can be solved without me sending something back. I almost hope that someone else has the same problem ...

Thanks for your replies!

7. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Just tested mine and it seems to work ok. The systems turns off then back on but all my settings are saved.

8. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

What version firmware are you running?

John

9. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I just got back a reply from Rotel about the user default and they are looking into it but they'd like to know who's having problems and what firmware you are using so can you please report back in this thread with your firmware and if the user default works or not. Once we get a list of people I'll pass it on to Rotel so they have something to work with.

Thanks

11. Daniel Lindgren

Hi Andrew,

Not sure if I need to do this, but I have the problem (hence me starting this thread). My firmware version should be 1.43.

I had 1.42, upgraded with the one Mike Sheehan sent me a few days ago (no version number) and the menu background color changed to solid black, which I've read is introduced in 1.43.

Thanks for your help.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Daniel that's correct you are now running 1.43.

13. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Is 1.43 now released?

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Offically the current release is 1.42. 1.43 has been "leaked" out to a few of us but its not the offical release. I was told that most of rotel's progamming efforts were being spent on the 1066's bigger brother but a little birdie told me that we could expect some more updates sooner rather then later.

15. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

Any chance of sending me a copy of 1.43? I don't want to upgrade to 1.42 as I am not sure about the user default feature and how it works under 1.42.

Also, do you think these could be the last of the updates for the 1066 given it seems that Rotel are now concentrating on the new model?

Thanks

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

John I was told that Rotel would be coming with another update soon.

John email me about 1.43 I tried to email you but it was returned.

17. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Ok. I tried it. I am running version 1.43 of the firmware.

The steps I took were:

1) Save the user default settings
    2) Choose Factory Defaults and restore them. The unit powers down and powers up.
    3) Restore the User Default settings. The unit powers down and powers up.
    4) I have lost the user settings. When I try to choose User Default - Yes, it does not give me the option.

Any suggestions? Did any of you guys who had problems finally get it to work?

John

18. Daniel Lindgren

JohnSC - just to make sure, you have done this:
    1. Configured settings to your liking.
    2. Used USER DEFAULT SET -> YES -> ENTER to save your settings.
    3. FACTORY DEFAULT -> YES -> ENTER which restored factory default.
    4. USER DEFAULT -> YES -> ENTER which should have restored previously saved user settings.
    After that you did NOT get your previously saved settings?
    If so, you have the same problem as I have - the settings are not saved. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Incorrect, choosing FACTORY DEFAULT erases saved settings.

19. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,

That is correct.

All,

I think I have it worked out.

I believe restoring the factory settings is supposed to erase your preferences. On reading the manual again I think the User Default option allows you to set your preferences, play around with them and, if you wish, restore your previous ones. Using the Factory Default takes the unit back to its state when you bought it.

Any comments?

I will try this tonight.

John

20. Daniel Lindgren

JohnSC: AFAIK, restoring to FACTORY DEFAULT erases (overwrites) all your settings, even erases the saved ones. Should only be used if you really want to get back to factory settings.