What's new

Used Subwoofers... (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Agent
What kind of problems do subs suffer with age? Or is it either 100% or 0% ? Does the amp fade over time? Or just sudden death?

Thanks,
Brian

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
As far as "old" goes, you'd have to consider something 10 years old to fall into that category. If you're talking about a 2-year-old sub, then I think that baby is just starting to "sing" and is hitting its stride.

Amplifiers will not "fade" - more than likely, if there's an issue with an amp, it will be pretty obvious.

If you're considering a used sub, go for it - provided it was made within the last 2-3 years. Anything before that might be considered "ancient" not because of the age of the sub, but rather, the advancements that have been made (e.g more powerful amps, better drivers, etc.)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Subs, are rough in particular. I have abused every sub I owned. I would not want a sub that I owned previously anyways. lol

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
What Wayne said. 2-3 years old is safe. If you start to approach 10 years old, I'd start being nervous about potentially rotted surround material (depends on how they are constructed). I have bought a couple of used subs before and had no problems. Biggest thing is to carefully inspect the cone itself for any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks