What's new

Used speakers buying checklist (1 Viewer)

Mike_Jo

Agent
Checking out a pair of used speakers later... care to give a checklist of what I should check?

Thanks

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
These are the things I look for in all of my used equipment decisions:

1. Cosmetics - Have to look new, no scratches, dents, stains or damage. Have the seller send you hi res pics with grill on and off, serial numbers and all sides of the speakers.

2. Buyer profile - Do your research. Look to make sure they have good feedback somewhere in reputable auction or HT sites (ebay, audiogon, HTF, etc.)

3. Documentation - Ask for receipts from the store they bought it from. Are manuals, warranty cards or original packaging included? Having all of the original documentation and packaging helps to indicate that the seller takes care of his stuff IMHO.

4. Hours in use/years owned - Just an indicator of how much the speakers/equipment have been used. Only a minor consideration for me to determine price or value I will pay for the equipment.

5. Pricing - Again, do some research to see where used pricing should be for that piece of equipment. Don't find another perfect specimen later for significantly less than what you paid for now. Be patient! Set a low price in mind then guage whether a current offering meets that low price or is worth more. I was able to get my two amps at 50% of MSRP by waiting for the right seller and conditions. Both were in perfect condition at a great price.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks