Used McIntosh and Lexicon DC2 - Opions Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Gr, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I had been considering a package from Outlaw (new 950 processor and 7100 amp) which costs $1698.

Two days ago I received a quote for a used Lexicon DC2 and a McIntosh 5 channel amp. I was quoted $1,700 for both including a warranty with the McIntosh (warranty transfers to from owner to owner with Lexicon).

Any thoughts regarding the Lexicon and McIntosh?

2. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Both the Lexicon and the McIntosh are true high-end products that offer a quality of build that is above that of the Outlaw products.

The amps in the McIntosh are of their current design(although the model has been replaced) and therefore offer close to state-of-the-art performance. The Outlaw is an excellent unit for its price. However, it is clearly a notch or two below the Mac and does not offer features like active protection against distortion without audible artifacts.

The Lexicon, likewise, offers a performance level above the Outlaw; but. depending on upgrade level, may not offer all the features that you want (DPL2, DTS-ES, etc.) You might want to check further into the particular unit you are getting.

Either choice is a good value. I would tend to the higher quality of the Lexicon/McIntosh option. However, the Outlaw may offer features that are important to you. Sounds like a win/win situation.

Marty

3. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Actually, I would say that is a great deal. A loaded DC2 with Version 4 software doesnt go for less than $1400-$1500 by itself. Just make srue it is a DD/DTS model. Personally, with Logic7 I dont see a need for PL2. Only downside to the Lex is if you plan on DVD/a or SACD. If you do you will need a seperate 5.1 channel preamp like Sonjy makes.. Good luck.

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

What kind of McIntosh amp are you getting with that deal? The only multi-channel Mac amps that I know of still go for $1000 used. $1700 for both seems like a deal too good to be true, since used DC2's still go fro around $1400-1600 these days.