Used laser disc dealers in the South Florida area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel W, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Agent

I'm thinking about selling my laserdisc player and a good deal of my collection (I'll probably hold onto the original Star Wars trilogy). I'm not sure if I'm comfortable selling it over the web and would prefer to take care of it in person. Does anyone in the South Florida area (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton), know of a local store that buys used players and discs (I've had no luck with the used cd and vidoe game stores I've tried)? Also, if anyone has an opinion as to whether or not making the sale in person rather than on the computer is likely to yield me significantly less $$$, please let me know. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I'm on the other side of the US but I can give you some info on used lds.
    I live down the block from a amoeba which buys cds lds lps..... - just about anything.
    Lately, they will only buy lds that are not on DVD. Most go for around $12 - $20 ( so they pay $6 to $10), boxes more.
    Id say try to sell them on this forum as a set. On ebay lds sets dont go for much.
    Good luck
    Grant

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Agent

Thanks. I don't think that there's an amoeba near me, but I'll certainly attempt to look them up later. I figured if I do ultimately decide to sell the player and discs that I would probably have to go through the web, but was hoping that maybe someone from my area would know of a store that I had overlooked. Thanks again for the reply.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

If you don't find that store, or would rather make a little more money or get some dvds in trade, with a little more hassle, you could make a list and e-mail it to me - I'm perpetually looking. I'd sure hate for you to sell that incredibily rare, goes for a fortune disc on Ebay LD for a song, especially without giving me a chance at it. You may not have any valuable LD's but you should find out.

In other words, Step 1.) Make a List Step 2.) Send it to me. Might be well worth your time, might not.

As for what anyone will pay for used LD's, I certainly wouldn't expect 50% of expected retail. My experience says you'll be lucky to get a third, or even a fourth, of expected retail.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Hey Dan, I am here in Fort Lauderdale... if you are in the area, the best place that I have gone to for LDs is ALL BOOKS AND RECORDS. It is located near the downtown area where US1 and Sunrise Blvd meet in the Sears Town plaza (there is another location on Oakland, but they have less LDs). It is a great store with THOUSANDS of used hardbacks, paperbacks, records, CDs, DVDs and a BUNCH of LDs (including a wide selection of box sets). They also carry used electronics. They will buy almost ANYTHING (anything I can't eBAY goes there)... I have never sold any major electronics there, but I think it would be a good place to try.
    The best part is that you have to be 18 to enter, so there are no kids hanging about [​IMG] (although, if you aren't a pest, and are under 18... they will let you in)

6. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey Daniel,Im in hte south fl. area and would be interested in hearing what you have for sale .maybe I can take some of it off your hands?Drop me a line at [email protected] if you dont mind.Im trying to build up my ld collection,and I also kknow where to get rid of them locally if necessary.
    Thanks in advance,
    Luis S

7. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

LOL!Rob you beat me to it!I go there all the time!Theres one on oakland park blvd as well.

Luis S

8. Daniel W

Daniel W Agent

Rob, Luis, and Alan,

Thanks for responding. Here are the laserdiscs I have, off of the top of my head. I'll amend this list later when I get home. Be forewarned, I'd be shocked if any of these were considered rare or hard to come by. Most of them are currently or will soon be available on dvd, which is why I feel comfortable parting with them. As I mentioned in my original post, I have the three original Star Wars movies (three sided versions), but will probably hold onto them as collectibles. Unless indicated, all discs are widescreen. I'll star with the full framers.

Top Gun (full frame)
    The Untouchables (full frame)
    Stephen King's It (full frame)
    Resevoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Forrest Gump
    Jurassic Park--IIRC, there was more than one version of this, I'm sure that I bought the lesser of the two--
    The Abyss, Special Collectors Edition
    Independence Day (not an extended edition)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (I'm leaning towards holding onto this one)
    E.T. Collectors Edition (five sides, CAV, some additional text features, this collection did not come with a cd) (as with Raiders, I might hold onto this)
    The Hunt for Red October
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Schindler's List (may or may not hold onto)
    In the Name of the Father
    Terminator 2 (not the special edition with the extra footage)
    The Usual Suspects
    Dumb and Dumber (full frame)
    Primal Fear
    Goodfellas
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (CLV, full frame)
    Scream
    Clerks
    Back to the Future
    Back to the Future II
    Back to the Future III (third side is CAV)
    A Few Good Men
    JFK (original version)

Edited to add:
    Sneakers
    A Few Good Men
    Dead Again
    Cliffhanger
    The Fugitive (first side is CAV)
    In the Line of Fire (Third Side is CAV)

I think that's about it. Like I said, not many collectors items, and I think the ones that arguably are are the ones that I'm planning on holding onto.

Later today, I'll give a call to the store that Rob mentioned (thanks again). Rob or Luis, if any of these interest you, I'll let you know when I'm planning on going to the aforementioned store and we can meet up. Alan, I'd prefer not to go through the hassle of shipping, but if you're very interested in one of the discs and you make it worth my while, I'd certainly consider working something out. Just post a reply and I'll contact you via e-mail.

If I left anything out, I'll update this evening.

Thanks again for the responses.

-Dan

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I was about to say that, in my experience, no retailer has ever offered me what I've been able to get by selling lasers on eBay, but having looked at your list, I don't you would do well on eBay, either. All titles (except possibly RAIDERS) are either very common or are simply no longer desirable to collectors, and frankly you'd be lucky to break even on the listing and final fees! Hope you have luck in trying to sell them as a unit privately.