Used laptops?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kevin C Brown, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

This is cool, a computer thread on HTF. [​IMG]

I'm beginning to think about getting a (used) laptop so I can surf HTF at the my sofa.

Any ideas in terms of where to look? Ebay? Any good PC forums? Used PCs anywhere on HTF?

I actually don't know a lot about laptops, but based on my desk machine, I think I'd want something like:

64 MB memory, 10 G drive, 56k modem, CD-rom drive, floppy, AC adaptor, Win ME, 1.2 - 1.8 GHz, 14" TFT (active matrix?) screen, must include all original CD-roms.

Dell, IBM, Toshiba are good ones? (I have a Dell desktop and mostly like it. Cheap mouse I had to replace though. [​IMG] )

Thanks!

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Picked up my sofa surfer on Half.com
    There are some dealers (liquidators and/or refurbishers) that offer decent deals there sometimes.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Half.com, cool.

I have figured out that since I only want to pay about $500, I'm limited to 750 - 1 GHz.

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Get as much memory as you can.... 64mb IMHO is way too little... 128 at a min. 256 would be better.

Give up on Win ME and get one with 2000 or xp. A 750-1 gig system can run these with no problems.

Dont forget about that wireless network card so you dont have to worry about wires to your sofa.

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    www.retrobox.com

Click on the search button to begin. You have to live on the right planet for it to work, though.

6. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I got my used laptop from dell financial services. they're off-lease but if there's anything wrong with it the service was good for me. I was having with the battery holding a charge and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked and i didn't even have to send back the old one.
    They sell them on ebay as well as from their site (www.dfsdirect.ca but that's canadian)

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, I found Dell Fin Services on ebay, but it seems like none of their laptops have the OS installed. I'd like to stay with Win ME because that's what my desktop has...

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Kevin
    Why not add your computer to your HT set up? I have mine outputed to my sony XBR and use a wireless keyboard. Really convienent.
    I needed a laptop for my work and looked at used and it was so close to new I got a new HP LT for $800 after rebates and no interest for 24 months from bestbuy. Used was ~ $500 or so

9. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

kevin, just my dell was advertised as coming with no o/s but it came with win2000 installed.
    but if you were looking for a particular o/s i wouldn't go near them.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I guess if I got Win 2000 for free, I wouldn't complain. [​IMG] Grant, you're messing me up. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and your suggestion pops up. [​IMG]

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sorry Kevin... I just find that you really pay a premenum for the size & portability