What's new

Used Integra DTR9.1 good price? (1 Viewer)

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the home theater store auditioning speakers (I plan on getting Paradigm studio speakers) and I noticed a Integra DTR9.1 reciever demoed that was selling for $2,000. It said it was regulary $3,200 brand new. They have everything that comes with it when you buy it brand new. Should I take advantage of this deal because I love the sound the paradigms made with a DTR5.4 (I think that is what it was). And what is the difference between the 9.1 and 9.1U2?

Oh yeah it was also already upgraded with Pro Logic II and DTS Neo.

steve gk

Stunt Coordinator
Adam,

I have the 9.1 and think it's a great unit. Integra makes solid stuff. $2000 sounds reasonable. Heck I was trying to sell my 9.1 about a year ago on this forum for $1800 but had no takers. As far as i'm aware, the only major differences between the 9.1 and the 9.1v2 are the proglogic II and DTS NEO. let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck,
Steve

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know too much about Integra receivers, but I do own their DPS 8.3 player. I'm not sure that I would buy a demo unit though. Those babies are run 8+ hours per day 7 days per week. One factor in your favor is that the Integra products generally have a 3 year warranty.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Adam,
My roommate has the Onkyo 989 which is the "exact" same as that unit. It's excellent and very solidly built. The sound is excellent and the it used to power my Martin Logan's. It now serves time in the 2nd room, b/c I also had tried to sell it on this forum, but got little real interest.
It's an excellent unit, just make sure you get the 3? years of manufacturer's warranty and find out it's history.

If you're interested in mine shoot me an email.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Onkyo is not the same as Integra
There a fair amount of differnce.
Integra is the Higher end Onkyo. Integra will use 1%resistors better caps and tranformers over the Onkyo line There preout stages sound alittle nicer providing you have speakers thats can show this difference. I assume you do seeing as yer considering this high end product.
Heres a review
http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/74/
Hope this helps

;)

Heres a new product they have come out with
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...Review_01.html
http://www.integrahometheater.com/pr...lass=Separates
Look very very nice and out of my reach even if I get cost from the distibutor (a freind of mine) still over 4k for the set canadain

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Luitz,
I'm not going to threadjack here, so PM me on these differences that I'm not aware of. I have sold and owned both class of products for quite awhile. My roommate is an Onkyo/Integra head and I'm curious to your take on this and how you came to your conclusion.
I've compared matching models in each lineup very thoroughly.

Adam,
Here's the differences in the Upgrades.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog.cfm?id=7

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
Luitz,
How about you make your friend a friend of mine so I can get a new DTR9.1U2 for a great price ;)

I am not sure still applies if you buy it demoed. I sent a message to Integra to tell me if the warranty still applies.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
I sent u a PM Adil M.
Demo wont matter on a amp. Its better to have electronics running or in standby all the time then off and on.
Warranty will be from date of your purchase.
You cant go wrong with this product.. Last you forever.

:D

Oh yeah im in Vancouver BC Canada .
So rule of thumb most american sale prices are what Cost is here But i would would pay in canadain dollars so a 2k US dollars amp is what i would pay canadain plus 14.4 precent tax on top. Home audio speakers are the best deal most retailer Double the cost so 2k a pair is like 1k cost a pair 600 a pair cost is like 300 a pair and so on

ScottyJ

Auditioning
"Onkyo is not the same as Integra." True. Integra has more marketing mumbo jumbo.

I can't speak for the "higher end" DTR-9.1/9.1U2 receivers, but I just purchased a DTR-5.4 and it is the Onkyo TX-SR601 (without some features). I find it really hard to believe that they use "better" components. The transformer of the power supply appears the same except for a different sticker. The specifications are exactly the same. Needless the say, I was really disappointed and I am going to upgrade my Integra DTR-5.4 to an Onkyo TX-SR701.

Bottom line: Unless you like the chick on the Integra marketing publications, ignore the hype and look at the features/specs vs. price.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
Now I am more confused on what to do. Are the top of the link Onkyo and Integra the same? Does the Onkyo have downloadable upgrades?

I found the Integra 9.1U2 from brandnamez.com for 2750 brand new. I realize I wouldn't get the warranty but I have never needed the warranty on anything I have ever owned.

Oh yeah, the Integra reciever weighs almost a full pound more so something is in there that is different.

This just in:
Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

If you purchased your unit from an authorized dealer. You unit has 2 year parts and labor with your proof of purchase.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor

This is what Integra gets for releasing two new upgrades but only one new version number. :)

The PLII and DTS Neo are part of an unnamed upgrade that occured before the U2. This upgrade also included adding the 6th channel capability for DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix (and THX EX I believe). This upgrade cost $50 and you could do it at home with a PC and RS-232 cable.

The U2 is the THX Ultra2 (hence U2 for "Ultra 2") and DTS 96/24 upgrade path. This one costs $500 and requires sending your unit to a service center.

BTW, $2000 is a great deal, provided you get the Integra warranty (which is actually a 3 year deal).

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Adam,
Yes and yes to both questions. They are pretty much identical.
I believe the Integra model was made for boutique/custom installers. Onkyo was not. They supposedly handpick some of the resistors to give you an extra 3 yr warranty, but it costs you. I'd rather have the one step up Onkyo which has a 2 yr warranty then the equivalent priced Integra.

Find out if Brandnamez is authorised.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
Brandnamez is not authorized, but that is nearly 500 dollars cheaper than MSRP.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
I have been checking ebay for 2 months now with no DTR 9.1 :frowning: but I do see alot of the 5. and 6. recievers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks