used equipment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Ab, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

What do you need to know about buying used equipment, recievers in particular? What should you ask and look at? And how does trading in work?

Thanks,

Ryan

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I love it. They say "you get what you pay for", well when it comes to a used receiver, you can easily get many times what you pay for. My receiver is used. Look for original box and manuals included, that generally means care was taken with the piece. Someone's going to get a great deal on my receiver when I sell it in a couple weeks.

3. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

Thanks. I'll remember to check on these things. I'm very excited about the possibilites of getting more for less!

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    what receiver would that be Phil?

5. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    If you're looking for a used receiver, I suggest starting out by searching the forum to find out what model you want to buy. The well-regarded "state-of-the-art" products 6-18 months ago will be your best bets for used receivers now. Get familiar with the specifications and capabilities, and make a list of which brands/models you want to consider.

I would recommend at least getting Dolby Digital and DTS decoding capability. Some people are upgrading because they want the latest and greatest bells and whistles, such as built-in support for DVD-Audio, 6.1 formats (Dolby Digital EX / DTS-ES), or 7.1 support (proprietary digital processing to use two side speakers and two rear speakers instead of just the two rear speakers).

If you're buying from a private individual, act quickly to go view/test the equipment. Be ready with at least a deposit to hold the unit should you decide to buy it. Usually you will need to pay cash, cashier's check, or money order. If you're buying in a store, they will likely take credit cards, and may be able to offer a return/exchange period or warranty (usually 30-90 days on used gear).

Bring a selection of CDs and/or DVDs you wish to test. Run through all the menus, and make sure all the sound format decoding works properly. Make sure you don't hear any unexpected distortion, and verify that the amps don't shut down during loud parts of movies. If you encounter any failures here, move on because there are serious problems with the unit. Also consider the "user interface" of the product. Does it operate intuitively, or is it frustrating to use?

If everything works satisfactorily, physically inspect the receiver. Make sure there are no broken/missing knobs, buttons, switches, or connectors. Check the overall condition of the unit. The worst damage you should see would be small scratches on the chassis. If you see more visible damage, proceed with caution because the unit has not been handled carefully.

6. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

I"ve actually got it narrowed down to last years model of the onkyo 595 or a denon 1801. Both are a significant upgrade for me and would save money over their newer counterparts. I'm going to go looking at a dealer who has some of both used in and I will definitely take in media of my own to try them out on. I actually found an onkyo 575, brand new, and I thought my search would be ended with a markdown. However, it was still priced at $500.

I guess its the risk that I worry about, about bringing home a lemon and the time it would take to make a repair vs starting out with a unit without any history. Of course, the good news is the wife really likes the local dealer who only has the 1802, and has said, "If you really want it...."

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Ryan- you ususally can't get Denon units discounted very much (if at all). i own the 595 and got it for $359 + shipping at J&R. that is your best deal IMO b/c of price and the lack of a decent remote from Denon. only thing i wish my Onkyo had is preouts.