Used equipment on the internet rant

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike OConnell, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Jun 14, 1999
    This is primarily to get something off of my chest that has been bugging me for some time.

Background - I have sold and purchased several pieces of used equipment through the internet and have yet to be "burned".

The rant - Why can't sellers:

1. Have the common courtesy to mark item "SOLD" when the transactions are completed? (It only takes a minute).

2. Reply to e-mails of offers by buyers in a timely manner? (If we do not get a reply we have no way of knowing if you even got the message. A simple "the item has been sold" or "currently considering previous offers" would be appropriate.)

3. Answer all questions asked about a particular item? (If they ignore some of the questions I typically will not buy an item guessing that it is a response that is negative towards the sell).

4. Not put "lowball offers will be kindly ignored" in their posts? How is a buyer to know if the offer is considered a "lowball"? (25% off the asking price may be considered by the buyer as a reasonable starting point, but the seller may consider less than 99% as a lowball. If the price is non-negotiable just put it in the post!)

Sorry about the rant, I am just getting tired of sending e-mail to sellers and not getting any responses. It has happened way too many times to me as of late.

I feel better now.

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Feb 14, 2002
    Your expectations may be too high - not all sellers are experienced enough to become aware of decent protocol. Some (or possibly even most) are just layfolk trying to make a quick buck from their used equipment.