Used DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChrisMcK, Mar 11, 2004.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

I like to get some opinions on what people on this board think of purchasing used dvds. I can get dvds usually 60 to 75% of retail at a loacal music store. Plus I dont have the cash to buy dvds at 20 bucks a pop

2. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

Used are fine for me as long as they arent scratched. My gf likes to do garage sale thing on the weekends so I pick up alot of DVDs cheap that way. Even if no cover/box whatever as long as it isnt scratched up I will get it and slap it into a dvd case and print out a cover for it.

3. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

There have been numerous threads asking this question, and they basically boil down to: Buying used dvd's is normal, just check the discs as you're paying for them.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As long as they're cheap and they play, they're great! I've never got a bad used disc, in fact most look like they've only been out of the case once or twice.

Previously viewed at a video store is a different story, but I've been lucky there as well. I've been skipping release week lately and just picking up the PV-ed versions at Blockbuster during their sales. Much cheaper than new for the same disc.

Hell, you can get brand new discs these days, still shrinkwrapped, that look like they've been used to play floor hockey in the factory. Even brand new doesn't always mean pristine.

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

What are some good ways to get rid of old DVDs? Ebay or Half.com? Or are there any good stores that buy old DVDs (especially in Southern California)?

6. WillG

WillG Producer

I have not had any problems myself. Even if a disc does have some scratches, that does not mean that it won't still play perfectly fine. And most stores that sell used DVDs give you a fair amount of time to return the DVD if you have problems. I have picked some up from a Game Stop near where I live and they give you up to 90 days. I think the risk in buying used DVDs is pretty small.

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I usually get used DVDs at either Blockbuster or Hollywood or used on Amazon or ebay.
    That's a good place to sell them too.

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I've never bought a used disc mainly because there's nowhere around here to buy them. If there were I would.

9. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

There's a place a couple miles down the road from me that sells used CD's and DVD's. The nice thing is they use some kind of proffesional machine to clean the discs. It's an expensive looking machine, you wouldn't be able to buy it a Wal-Mart. All the discs I 've purchased there look absolutely brand new. I mean no scratches at all. Whatever that machine they use is; it does an awesome job. I'll ask about it next time I'm in there.

10. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

I'll go against the grain here and say I wouldn't buy a used DVD. Maybe its my own anal-retentiveness or the "brand-new only" philosophy passed down from parents, but I want my DVDs still in the shrink wrap.

They aren't that expensive as to need the couple dollar discount by going used. IMHO

11. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I've bought quite a few used DVDs from Hollywood Video, since I know if I have any problems, I will have no problem returning them. I only had to return one, Thirteen Ghosts, because of the scratches. The one I exchanged it for plays fine.

12. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I buy 80-90% of my DVDs used, my collection wouldn't be nearly as large as it is if I didn't.

I also love the thrill of the hunt buying used, you never know what you are going to find, and it's a great feeling finding one that you have been hunting down for a while.

13. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I'm typically a only buy new kinda guy, but over the past few months I've bought about 30 used disks and have never had a problem with them. I go them either at blockbuster or hollywood video.

14. Jeff Job

Jeff Job Agent

Jeff Job
    About one third of my dvd's are used. Most stores that sell their rentals will guarantee them for 30 days, and you can always ask to see what the disk looks like before you buy.

It sure is a lot easier on the wallet. In fact, I just picked up the entire Indiana Jones widescreen boxset including the bonus disk for half the retail price.

15. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

I buy used all the time and it really pays off! My latest score was The Rock Criterion 2 dvd set last weekend at a pawn shop for....are you ready? 4 DOLLARS [​IMG] Gotta love deals like that...

16. I buy practically everything used, because I like saving money as much as I like watching movies (and I can get more titles for the same investment).

I don't buy unless packaging is intact and is fairly passible.

Had to become skilled at safely removing stickers and touching up fancy paper SEs with colored markers.

As long as the return policy is good, I'll try a hard-to-find/cheap disc that's clearly scratched.

You can never really tell what will play correctly or not.

Bought 'Black Rain' for $6 despite many scratches, played fine...bought a mint 'Kate & Leopold' for $7 and it skipped due a scuff on the *top* of the disc.

Turns out, DVD format is more reactive to damage on the label-side rather than the heavily coated play-side (data is closer to label apparently).

Something to think about when used DVD shopping...

17. Follow up:

With the advent of the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin and frequent 2/$15 sales at BB/CC, the margin between new & used is closing.

At this point, you have to use your best judgement and hope for a bit luck.

Nobody wants to buy used for $7 and then find they can get a new copy for less (example, 'White Squall' for $5.99 at BB).

18. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Good tip Frank. I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

19. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Heck picked up some good titles used. Nothing wrong with going used, there clean and as long as the store as a liberal return policy your good.