Used DVDs - what to do?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MattHenderson, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MattHenderson

I've been collecting DVDs since 1997, and since those fond years of limited selection, when I'd purchase a film I kinda liked just to have something on DVD, my taste has changed considerably. I've recently done some 'house cleaning' by watching all those movies I wasn't sure I really wanted in my collection after all, and decided I could part with many of them. Usually I'd go to Skinnyguy.com and trade the used ones in for other used or new DVDs, but the 'sell system' is apparently not functioning at the moment. Dave's Laser is now defunct, as is my local Wherehouse. I'm not too keen on selling the discs for cash because I'd probably get less than I would for a credit / exchange system, but I haven't been able to find a Web site with similar functionality. Does anyone have any recommendations on a Web site (or store in the L.A. area) where I can exchange used DVDs for other used or new DVDs? Preferably some place that will take all 15 or so DVDs and has reasonable buy/sell prices and a large selection. Thanks much!

2. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Hi Matt,

I have not dealt with these guys before but I'm thinking about taking a drive to the nearest location (about 50 miles away) and getting rid of some of my DVDs. I'm also not sure if they exchange or just buy DVDs for cash (I need to look at the site a little closer). I know they have been around for several years so they must be doing something right.

Second Spin

3. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

I personally go to Moby Disc they have several locations and they give a very fair rate for credit. The great thing about them is that if you can't find something in store then you can use your credit on their website Djangos.com which is nationwide with plenty of stores to fill your dvd needs. Also Second Spin is a great store as far as selection goes but they are very strict about buying DVDs. Heavy Rotation in Studio City is a phenomenal place to go for used DVDs but I am not sure how they are about their buying policy. Another great place to go is Amoeba records in Hollywood, they have everything! Once again I have never sold to them so I can't say how they are about taking trade.
    good luck
    Josh

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

www.digitaleyes.net is also a reputable e-tailer that buys used DVDs for credit, with pretty good prices. I don't buy enough DVDs to trade any off myself, but they are a proven, reliable e-tailer.

5. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    You'd probably get more money by auctioning them on Ebay.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Second Spin is reputable. I've used them before and have no bad experiences. eBay is also a good way to recycle your old discs. Just remember to take their fees into account.

7. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

Why don't you just post a list to the "Software for Sale" section of a little site known as the Home Theater Forum? I've bought off there numerous times and there are always lists of people selling.

ShaunS