What's new

Used DVDs from DeepDiscountDVD.com? (1 Viewer)

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered Open Your Eyes (Abre Los Ojos) from Deep Discount DVD for the sale price of $9.90 and it arrived today.

I must have missed the fine print somewhere, because what I received was not only floating loose off the spindle when it arrived (grrr), but was obviously a used copy.

The security stickers were present, but broken and half-gone and the disc had light fingerprints toward the edges. The keep case also showed some minor damage to the edges. I haven't played the disc yet, so I can't tell you about any problems there yet. Aside from visible minor surface scuffs (probably from jangling loose), it looks as though it will play fine.

I'm not sure if I'm angry about this yet. I did get a great price, but I also feel like I should have been told more specifically what I was paying for.

Has anyone else gotten a used DVD from Deep Discount when they thought they were getting a new one? I didn't even think they carried used titles...

-Dave

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
OK, quick update.

I noted that they have a toll-free customer service number and some very reasonable hours, so I called.

The man on the phone (Cisco?) was very helpful and said he was shipping me a new copy as well as postage-paid packaging with which to return the erroneous one.

He stated that all titles they carry are supposed to be brand new and that he's only heard of this happening one other time in the year he's worked there. When asked how this could have happened, his theory was an error by the manufacturer (?).

So this may turn out to be a happy resolution. I'll post whenever there are further developments.

In the meantime, I'd still like to hear from others who've ordered from DDD.

Thanks.

-Dave

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I, almost exclusively, order from DeepdiscountDVD for the older titles and have yet to experience a problem with them. The major benefit for me is that they actually have a phone number you can call unlike Amazon or buy.com. Excellent Customer Service the one time I did have to call which was my error as I put in an erroneous digit in the credit card box. :b

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
The customer service at Deep Discount is what keeps me ordering from them. I have had two problems in the past (which is a fairly low percentage considering how many DVDs that I buy) and they have both been speedily resolved. Not to mention that DDD is starting to ship out pre-orders earlier now. :D
I've never heard of one coming open like that before. I have had a floater before that was off the spindle when it arrived despite being factory sealed. DDD did the same thing for me that they did for you.

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
But the disc hadn't "come open," someone had opened it. The security stickers had been removed or split open and there was a fingerprint on the disc itself.

A floater I would have just let go. Long as the disc works, I'll ignore visible scuffs. Floaters happen. But what I was sent was definitely opened by clumsy human hands.

Oh well, I'm very pleased so far with their customer service.

-Dave

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I have also been very pleased with the service from DDD.

Dave, I have a theory as to how your DVD was "used" prior to your receiving it: Somebody else ordered "Open Your Eyes" recently. When it arrived, it was floating around the case, obviously off the spindle. The customer called DDD for a replacement and was told to ship the other one back. In the meantime, they decided to try and watch the "floater" anyway. Peeling up/cutting the stickers and then replacing them when it was time to return the disc (but leaving tell-tale fingerprints on the disc itself). DDD's warehouse gets the return back and, not examining it carefully, mistakenly puts it back into new inventory instead of studio returns. And then it gets shipped to you. (I worked for a video distributor for a number of years and I watched how the warehouse worked - the above scenario is very probable!)

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
Your scenario sounds very plausible, Peter.

I'll update when I have my replacement, etc.

-Dave

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I've used DDD for about 20 orders, toatling about 35-40 dvd's. I've never had a problem with them. I use them for all my online ordering. Their customer service is great, which is key. They have great prices, and if they don't have something listed on their site, you can email them, and they're usually able to add it. They've always responded to my emails the next day. A company done right :)

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I have three active orders with them now.

I sent back Open Your Eyes and the latest is that it'll be available to ship again 12/18... SIGH. Still not unhappy with the customer service, though.

I'll chronicle when I receive it to close out the thread.

-Dave

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Although this concern is not directed to DDD exclusively, since I've got an order with them, they're the first retailer I've got in mind. My concern is with stated shipping times.
Granted, DDD provides a perk by offering free standard shipping. However, I've wondered why claim time between shipper to destination is 5-10 business days? On the high side, 10 business days can approach 2 weeks.
Throughout my lifetime of sending things post, I've never encountered deliveries that take more than 3-4 days. I've consistently seen my mail get delivered in 2-3 days. And this nonsense of 'business' days? I'm pretty sure the US Postal Service works on Saturdays and still moves mail on Sundays.
I guess I'm a slight bit impatient...I've currently been waiting for my order of Dracula Superbit (get it? :D ) for 3 business days, 4 if you count today (and I do), Saturday.
What are your experiences with DDD and their shipping times? Any clues as to why they seem to claim exhoribant times?

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Yeah sometimes it's easy to be impatiant especially when I am waiting for my Bad Taste:Limited Edition. It will be a week on monday. I have ordered from DDD about 5 times and have been very pleased with the service. I don't mind the sometimes 7-8 day wait because there prices are so cheap and hell its free. So good job DDD and keep up the good work.

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
Shipping time seems to be a mixed bag with DDD. I've gotten some movies long before I expected to, but others have taken what seemed like forever.

-Dave

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
Just to close out the drama that inspired this thread:

I got a brand new, sealed copy of Open Your Eyes in my mail yesterday (12/17).

Aside from some excessive waiting, I'm pretty happy with the whole situation. I'm not going to let this deter me from ordering with DDD again.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks