What's new

used car for around 10k, what would you buy? (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Well, Michigan's got "no-fault" here, which is different than a lot of states. Still, it seems kind of high to me. I would still do a little shopping around. A comp claim and one ticket shouldn't be too hard to get different insurance. Maybe someone else could comment, I've only switched insurance a couple of times.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
believe me I shopped around hard to get the rate I have now.
Colorado is/was a no fault state, that has changed recently, so maybe things will go down a bit. Even if they do, that's MAYBE 50 bucks in savings, switching to a 10k loan instead of a 15k saves me 100 bucks, plus gas savings.

times are bad in the insurance industry right now :frowning:
not sure if it's the poor stock performance or after effects of 911 but compared to others on the WRX forums my insurance is pretty cheap.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'll take your word for it Philip. I think I would keep paying on the sweet car, park it and pull the ins, and get a little gas-getter beater to drive around for a while :) I read an article in a car magazine where someone put a giant old V8 (or V10?) in a old Dodge Omni. He He HE HE :laugh: They ran circles around everyone else at the track. I'll stop sucking up all the thread replies now man, and let someone with legitimate suggestions come forward :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's cool man. The WRX is a fun car for sure, but I'm not all that happy with it to be honest, at this altitude it's kind of a drag until the turbo spools up to drive around. Back in ND (845MSL compared to 6300MSL) it was MUCH more fun. The sentra SE-R has 175-ish HP with a torquey little 4 cyl. I had an altima for 5 years before the WRX with the 2.4L 150hp 4 and it was a super super reliable car. THe subaru has uh, issues.. mostly caused by me beating on it constantly, but issues none the less :)

What I would REEEEEEEEEALLY like is the new turbo forrester, but at 25k a pop I can't do it.
I'd like a maxima too but that isn't working out so well for me. There's a silver sentra SE-R on fleabay in my town for 10k with something like 15k miles on it. She's an auto, but still, not a bad little car. Sensible :frowning:

there are so many decent cars out there that I wouldn't mind having I forget about them from time to time lol.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Being in the market for an inexpensive new car myself I can recommend the new MINI Cooper to you.

Here is why, even though it is a lot more than your $10K you are willing to spend.

1. For around $17K you get the same grin factor as the WRX if not more.
2. You get 3/36K maintenance free ... that means all you pay for is the finance charge for 3 years. Worry free driving!
3. Gas is cheap as the little bugger barely uses anything.
4. Insurance cannot be that high in Colorado. I am getting qouted $150 a month here in NYC for it.
5. I would never spend $10K on a car that has no warranty ... one repair can set you back more than you percieved savings.
6. Why would you want to drive around a boring Maxima? :D

Anyway just a suggestion ... but to me spending $10K for a car that can have problems anytime and you have to shell out money out of your pocket to fix ... does not make sense. Especially when your main concern is saving money.

I would actually keep the WRX if anyhting. How much is the price you bought it for anyway?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Philip, actually the MINI starts at $15K and change ... for $17K you get some nice options.

So you got the WRX used then for $16K?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I bought it for 16 somethin. I'd like a mini, but it would cost me more, I thought they ran more than 17?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am in the same situation as you with cars right now ... looking at a new MINI but also considering something for $10, maybe a 97-98 A4 Audi ?!!?

This is my logic right now.

After doing some realistic math, not one that makes me feel better :), I have come to the following conclusion:

My current car, a Buick Riviera, has been costing me $355 a month to run ($80 gas, $75 insurance and $200 maintenance based on the yearly repair bills)

I can run a MINI for $530 a month ($340 finance, $40 gas, $150 insurance) and do not ever have to worry about breakdowns, or paying for even an oil change for 3 years.

The $175 a month difference is worth the peace of mind to me + I will be driving a brand new car not one that has been beaten to death. I am the type of person that if I know I have to make the extra money every month I will make it somehow :)

My suggestion is, do not jump into something that will save you just a little bit of money every month. In the long run, I think it might cost you more.

Just a thought ...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
It's not like I'm looking at a 1980 K car here, there's a 2002 nissan sentra SE-R with 15k miles on her for 10k on ebay. The car is in town so I can go look at it but need to line up financing first....

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Man, you guys... I'm in the exact same boat.

I am currently leasing an '01 Lexus IS300. I'm tired of the $450.25/mo. lease payment. My insurance isn't *too* bad at all. I'm 28 years old, single, and my record is perfectly clean. I pay $131.00/mo. for insurance.

Anyway, I am at a loss as what to do when the lease is over in March 2004. I do want to get rid of the IS300. It's a fun car but I really want something different and preferably less expensive as far as a monthly payment goes.

I like the idea of finding a used car for around $10K-$12K. I always wanted a '00 Honda Civic Si in Electron Blue Pearl. But with so many kids nowadays modifying Hondas and Acuras. I'd be hard pressed to find an '00 Civic Si that probably wasn't driven really hard at one point in time. And that scares me. As Aurel mentioned earlier, financing a car at even $12K is still a lot of money with no warranty whatsoever. And I am a person that likes having that peace of mind with my Lexus. I know if anything goes wrong right now, it's under warranty. However, the obvious downside to that is if/when something does ever go wrong with it (knock on wood) and it is outside of the warranty period, I know it isn't cheap to repair/replace stuff that is broken on a Lexus... or a BMW... or probably even a MINI Cooper.

Coincidentally enough, I am fascinated by the MINI Cooper Type S. On paper, it looks like a phenomenal machine. I'd personally opt for the Type S model with added horsepower and other goodies. I think after all options, I'd be somewhere around $20K. Not bad, I guess. If the warranty on those things is really what everyone says they are (NO cost oil changes either?!?!) then I may seriously consider one. However, aren't they a subsidiary of BMW? They can't be cheap to repair either. Perhaps I'm mistaken??

The bad news? My girlfriend and I went to the one MINI dealership here in MN about a month ago. After walking around for nearly 30 minutes, not one person acknowledged us despite the fact that there were three salespersons on the floor not including the receptionist. I was disappointed as that isn't the type of service I'd like out of a car dealership... especially, the MINI dealership. I went home and immediately e-mailed headquarters and all I got was "sorry you had a bad experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you." Bullshit. I've not gone back and not sure if I really want to. Does anyone know if there is a way I'd be able to get more info online? i.e., possibly ordering a vehicle online? Unfortunately, with only one dealership in MN, I'd be forced to go back there if I ever have the hopes of getting to test drive one. :frowning:

sorry this post was so long and winded.

Scott.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I was extremely excited about the MINI Cooper S when it was introduced, but the early reliability reports I have read have turned me away. The warranty is great for the 36000 miles you have it, but thats not a very long time if you commute a decent distance.

I like the 4th and 5th gen Maximas because they are fun to drive (if a bit heavy in the rear end in the curves), hold up very well, and keep their value.

Phillip, keep in mind that a lot of the 5-spd Maxes were GXEs; however, you can bolt much of the SE equipment up without much problem on the 4th gens I believe; not too sure on the newer models.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
After walking around for nearly 30 minutes, not one person acknowledged us despite the fact that there were three salespersons on the floor not including the receptionist.
That is strange, the 3 dealerships here in NY have been very helpful. They are a non-typical dealership. Very laid back staff, probably as the car sells itself but I can understand your frustration. Actually thinking about it, all the dealers I have been to the salespeople never approached me either. It might be some "no-pressure" tactic on part of MINI. But once you talk to the salespeople you will see the difference between them and other dealerships. All the ones I have talked to are car buffs and super helpful and knowledgable.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
If you want a reliable car you can't go wrong with a Toyota Camry. I have had one for 6 years and it has been very trouble-free. It is a '94 4 cylinder sedan, automatic, and I usually get about 27 MPG.

Of course it is not the most fun car in the world. I am considering a Maxima as my next car since Nissan seems to be the only company out there that will put a manual transmission in a 6 cylinder sedan.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I have the same Camry. What the hell happened to Toyota? They used to have all these bitchin' gt-s Corolla's and Celica's (don't dig the new one at all.) that were fast, cheap, don't even need to mention reliability...

What is Toyota's fear of horsepower? They could release a 180 horse corolla s no prob that would probably get 32 MPG and be a holy terror, and would sell many more corollas. I don't really dig the Matrix either. Too trendy.

I miss my 78 Celica... great car, if a bit too much body roll...

If I don't get something with a 5 speed soon I'm going to go crazy... (hand me down's and cheap cars from relatives...)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would look at recent Subaru models with the 2.5L engine. I own a 2000 Impreza RS and it has plenty of low end torque. Since you are in Colorado, I'd think AWD would be a nice option to have. Get the 4 door sedan or wagon (same size car as a 2 door, but cheaper insurance). You should be able to find a cheap RS (since everyone is buying WRXs). Aftermarket improvements are also plentiful. I only pay $900 a year for insurance (that's with collision) & I'm a single 28yr. old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks