used car for around 10k, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I think it's time to part ways with my WRX, with the purchase of a house I need to free up my monthly budget, and I think I can finance 10k @ 200$ a month and cut my insurance and fuel costs, the WRX gets 17mpg on my daily commute, totalling 20/week just in gas.

So far all I could come up with is the sentra SE-R weighing in at 175hp
    imports only, please [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4th or 5th generation Maxima. A 2000 model can be found for around $11k and it sports 222hp. Both generations use the VQ engine which is rock solid. Gas mileage is 21/27 for the 2000.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

good call, I didn't realize they were that cheap [​IMG]
    a maxima can pretty easily hang with my WRX at this altitude [​IMG]

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Depending on how much bang for your buck you want you could find a probably find a 98 maybe a 99 Camaro Z28 for about 10-11,000. If you get a six speed they are capable of 25mpg. I right now get about 21mpg with mine. That is 80% highway driving though. One thing about these cars is they have probably been driver hard. I also like the Maxima I would definetly consider those. Very reliable. Is your WRX that espensive? I thought they were a great bang for the buck import. If I was to buy a new import now it would be between the Nissan 350Z and the WRX-STI.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

when I bought it I financed 15k. I'd like the payments to be less. It's a turbo, the insurance is running me 200/month. I'd like to save there, a camaro isn't going to help with insurance [​IMG]
    I would also like to have an STi, but weighing in at just under 31 grand I can't afford one.

having trouble finding a 2k maxima for 11k [​IMG]

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Phil, unfortunately it depends on your area. [​IMG] In the DC metro area I see a few, one is $9.9k and has 65k miles on it. The 4th gens ain't bad either, in fact I'm about to buy one in the upcoming week.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

A Honda Accord or Toyota Camry are good choices that get good MPG are VERY dependable and also hold their value well.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I want a 2k, want a 5th gen.
    a private party sale on KBB for a 2k in good condition with 50k miles comes out at 10,700, so I don't think 10k is out of line, just a matter of finding what I want at the price I'm willing to pay.
    I also want a 5 speed and those are harder to find.
    if you see a nice 5th gen, prefer silver and a 5 speed, let me know. Shipping cars these days is cheap.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

ahhh you've been bitten, welcome to the club! [​IMG] www.maxima.org is a good place to start the obsession, check the forums for a for sale section.

Reg- excellent vehicles, I know the boss of my ex-boss keeps leasing Camry's over & over, even with all his bling bling. However Phil had a WRX.. going from that car to a used Camry or Accord might be a little too traumatic. [​IMG] He needs something with some pep in its step. The Accord didn't start getting some decent power until '02, which I'm sure would be out of the price range.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

already there man, already there. [​IMG]

the max gets up and goes, just about 2 weeks ago one thought he could cut my little econobox slug off from a light, he couldn't do it, but not by a whole lot, half a car length up to 50 mph. I think the max runs low 16's stock with an auto, thereabouts.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

nope, my slow 1990gxe 3rd does low 16's. The 4th gens hit low-mid 15's, and the 5th gens hit mid-high 14's. Low 14's for '02 and after. One guy got a 14.2 on the org (posted his timeslip) with just a K&N air filter.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

You guys and your imports [​IMG] How about a nice supercharged 3.8L V6 Grand Prix GTP, 0-60 in 6.6 seconds: MPG: 18/28. (I got 30 on a recent trip to Canada). And some nice heads up display, leather, and climate control to go with it. Not that I wouldn't buy an import, but, the price premium...

Admittedly, I don't like many US-styled cars anymore (Bonneville, Grand Prix, GTO, that's about it). Of course, I don't many imports either. My next car may end up being a Nissan Z. Or maybe a Corvette (I wish).

Edit: Philip, when did you buy your car? Perhaps you should try refinancing it to lower your payment. Never get rid of a good car.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I got it approx 5 months ago, it's financed out at 5.75% so a refi isn't going to help me. I'm just going to replace it with something cheaper and be done with it. The insurance hurts too at 200/month.

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

You must have something nasty on your record, Philip. I'm only 23 and my GTP is about $100/month. I would check the insurance pricing on the cars you are looking at with the insurance company. Normally the type of car makes very little difference unless you have something like a Beamer, a 'Vette, or a Cadillac (only a few $$). My upgrade from my '94 Beretta to my '00 GTP was a difference of only $17.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

nothing nasty, 1 ticket, one accident, that's all.

17. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dave the new GTP does look smooth! It even beats the new 265hp Max by a hair in performance, I wouldn't mind getting it at all. But they are about the same price.. plus you can supercharge a Maxima down the road and blow past the GTP. [​IMG] Still for most people who don't care to mod, Pontiac is back in the performance sedan game with this sleek styling.

[​IMG]

19. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I almost wish I had held onto my Beretta for a few more years, it only had 169k on it, it was good for a couple more years. Then I could have gotten the new design (I love the auto-stick gadget). Mine's a 2000.
    Philip, rather than sell the car, maybe you should do some shopping for a new insurance provider! Was the accident recent (like 5 months ago when you got the WRX)?

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Nooooo the ticket is 2 years old and the accident 1 year. Wasn't even an accident, it was a comprehensive claim (dropped a motorcycle, sorta) but the insurance company filed it as such. Go figure.

I also live in colorado, like, number 4 in the nation for expensive insurance. I DID just turn 25 on thursday, so that helps a little. But still, most companies these days won't even take on a new policy with 2 "incidents"

it's time for the WRX to go. I can turn it for a small profit and cut my losses with a more affordable car. [​IMG]