What's new

used car for around 10k, what would you buy? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think it's time to part ways with my WRX, with the purchase of a house I need to free up my monthly budget, and I think I can finance 10k @ 200$ a month and cut my insurance and fuel costs, the WRX gets 17mpg on my daily commute, totalling 20/week just in gas.

So far all I could come up with is the sentra SE-R weighing in at 175hp
imports only, please :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
4th or 5th generation Maxima. A 2000 model can be found for around $11k and it sports 222hp. Both generations use the VQ engine which is rock solid. Gas mileage is 21/27 for the 2000.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
good call, I didn't realize they were that cheap :)
a maxima can pretty easily hang with my WRX at this altitude :eek:

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Depending on how much bang for your buck you want you could find a probably find a 98 maybe a 99 Camaro Z28 for about 10-11,000. If you get a six speed they are capable of 25mpg. I right now get about 21mpg with mine. That is 80% highway driving though. One thing about these cars is they have probably been driver hard. I also like the Maxima I would definetly consider those. Very reliable. Is your WRX that espensive? I thought they were a great bang for the buck import. If I was to buy a new import now it would be between the Nissan 350Z and the WRX-STI.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
when I bought it I financed 15k. I'd like the payments to be less. It's a turbo, the insurance is running me 200/month. I'd like to save there, a camaro isn't going to help with insurance :)
I would also like to have an STi, but weighing in at just under 31 grand I can't afford one.

having trouble finding a 2k maxima for 11k :frowning:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Phil, unfortunately it depends on your area. :frowning: In the DC metro area I see a few, one is $9.9k and has 65k miles on it. The 4th gens ain't bad either, in fact I'm about to buy one in the upcoming week.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
A Honda Accord or Toyota Camry are good choices that get good MPG are VERY dependable and also hold their value well.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I want a 2k, want a 5th gen.
a private party sale on KBB for a 2k in good condition with 50k miles comes out at 10,700, so I don't think 10k is out of line, just a matter of finding what I want at the price I'm willing to pay.
I also want a 5 speed and those are harder to find.
if you see a nice 5th gen, prefer silver and a 5 speed, let me know. Shipping cars these days is cheap.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ahhh you've been bitten, welcome to the club! :) www.maxima.org is a good place to start the obsession, check the forums for a for sale section.

Reg- excellent vehicles, I know the boss of my ex-boss keeps leasing Camry's over & over, even with all his bling bling. However Phil had a WRX.. going from that car to a used Camry or Accord might be a little too traumatic. ;) He needs something with some pep in its step. The Accord didn't start getting some decent power until '02, which I'm sure would be out of the price range.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
already there man, already there. :)

the max gets up and goes, just about 2 weeks ago one thought he could cut my little econobox slug off from a light, he couldn't do it, but not by a whole lot, half a car length up to 50 mph. I think the max runs low 16's stock with an auto, thereabouts.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
nope, my slow 1990gxe 3rd does low 16's. The 4th gens hit low-mid 15's, and the 5th gens hit mid-high 14's. Low 14's for '02 and after. One guy got a 14.2 on the org (posted his timeslip) with just a K&N air filter.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You guys and your imports :) How about a nice supercharged 3.8L V6 Grand Prix GTP, 0-60 in 6.6 seconds: MPG: 18/28. (I got 30 on a recent trip to Canada). And some nice heads up display, leather, and climate control to go with it. Not that I wouldn't buy an import, but, the price premium...

Admittedly, I don't like many US-styled cars anymore (Bonneville, Grand Prix, GTO, that's about it). Of course, I don't many imports either. My next car may end up being a Nissan Z. Or maybe a Corvette (I wish).

Edit: Philip, when did you buy your car? Perhaps you should try refinancing it to lower your payment. Never get rid of a good car.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I got it approx 5 months ago, it's financed out at 5.75% so a refi isn't going to help me. I'm just going to replace it with something cheaper and be done with it. The insurance hurts too at 200/month.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You must have something nasty on your record, Philip. I'm only 23 and my GTP is about $100/month. I would check the insurance pricing on the cars you are looking at with the insurance company. Normally the type of car makes very little difference unless you have something like a Beamer, a 'Vette, or a Cadillac (only a few $$). My upgrade from my '94 Beretta to my '00 GTP was a difference of only $17.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dave the new GTP does look smooth! It even beats the new 265hp Max by a hair in performance, I wouldn't mind getting it at all. But they are about the same price.. plus you can supercharge a Maxima down the road and blow past the GTP. ;) Still for most people who don't care to mod, Pontiac is back in the performance sedan game with this sleek styling.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I almost wish I had held onto my Beretta for a few more years, it only had 169k on it, it was good for a couple more years. Then I could have gotten the new design (I love the auto-stick gadget). Mine's a 2000.
Philip, rather than sell the car, maybe you should do some shopping for a new insurance provider! Was the accident recent (like 5 months ago when you got the WRX)?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Nooooo the ticket is 2 years old and the accident 1 year. Wasn't even an accident, it was a comprehensive claim (dropped a motorcycle, sorta) but the insurance company filed it as such. Go figure.

I also live in colorado, like, number 4 in the nation for expensive insurance. I DID just turn 25 on thursday, so that helps a little. But still, most companies these days won't even take on a new policy with 2 "incidents"

it's time for the WRX to go. I can turn it for a small profit and cut my losses with a more affordable car. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks