What's new

Used car consumer rights (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Question: I just purchased a 1999 car with 24,000 miles on it from a dealership I have had good experiences with in the past. It's about 300 miles from my home. Any warranty is expired.

The day after I drove it home, something has gone wrong in the steering rack. (The car won't turn right, and no it's not the power steering pump. I've heard of GM having this problem before.)

Anyone know what consumer rights I have? I will contact the dealer first thing in the morning, but I want to know my rights first. I am searching, but thought I'd pose the question. I haven't even put a tank of gas in it yet and it's already un driveable, and it seems like a pretty catastrophic failure.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Much will depend on the sales contract. You are covered by the laws of where the purchase transaction was made, state of registration is not an issue.

The first red flag I see is you purchased a car that was registered in another state. (unless you live in a state other than where you bought it) Most reputable dealers will pay the licensing fees and transfer the title from THEIR name to yours at the time of sale, perfecting any liens (loan titles) along the way. If your dealer did not at least do this me thinks you got hozed and he is not so good a guy.
(and if the title was not in the dealers name then he was a 3rd party broker - worth avoiding that)

Now, as far as consumer rights, on a used car you are pretty much getting an 'as is' situation. There is one exception, being intentionally misled as to the condition of the vehicle. This can include past wrecks, recurring mechanical troubles or the old pour tranny fluid in the block to cover up those rattles.

If you find you were intetnionally misled, you can sue for a full refund. Of course, a reputable dealer would never have it go this far. Most offer a 90 day warranty on the drive train, or other parts. However, a scuzzy dealer will try to fight you.

IMHO it sounds more like you got a vehicle that has been hit on the right side suspension. Of course, the info is quite limited.

I would call the dealer and ask them what the suggest. I would be very curious as to their reply (please post) If they really are reputable I'd expect them to want to see it and repair it in their shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks