Used av receiver - outlaw 1050, denon 3801, or ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by WilliamLord, Dec 26, 2003.

1. WilliamLord

WilliamLord Extra

Hi,
    I'm looking to spend less than 500- on an av receiver - looking at denon 3801 or outlaw 1050 (both available for 450 or less). Any suggestions? Is there a new receiver of comparable quality in this range? Or, another brand used?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Will

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

William,

Do you intend to do a lot of listening to 2-channel material through 5 or more speakers? If so, you might consider looking at some other receivers. Both receivers you listed do not offer the ability of Dolby Pro Logic II processing.

If you don't have a need to listen to 2-channel material through 5 or more speakers, then these receivers would be fine as they can decode both DTS and Dolby Digital sources.

3. WilliamLord

WilliamLord Extra

Hi, been on the road . . . what do you mean, two channel material into five speakers . . . what I'm looking for is something to do a good job on music and also dvds . . .

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I agree with Wayne.

If you listen to regular 2 channel stereo TV a lot and want to surrounded by the action or want to decode 2 channel stereo music into surround, Dolby Pro Logic II is, IMO, an absolute must. And neither of the receivers you're looking at have DPL II on them. A few years ago I upgraded my setup for DPL II and for me, it was worth every penny.

That said, if these two are the only choices you in the market for, then the 3801 is a definite step above the Outlaw unit. The Outlaw is fine but it is closer to an entry level unit. The Denon is a mid-range product, with bigger amps and higher tech processing...