Used amps..is buying risky?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Mar 4, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

HI all..I haven't puchased used audio equipment brfore, but I have come across a used crown K2 amp to buy(825 bucks)...is there a danger in buying a used amp like this, or not? O don't know how much could go wrong with it, and if it did, would I be SOL? my other option is to buy a K1 amp for 1000 bucks new....any thoughts on the better deal(825.00 for the K2"used", or 1000.00 for the K1 "new"..as many of you buy and sell this stuff regularly[​IMG] thanks !! TL

2. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Ps..the K2 amp was always mounted in a shock mount rack...its about 4 years old. (the K2)...how is the longitivity of a amp? thanks! tl

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Oh, it'll be used to run a B4+ svs subwoofer fyi[​IMG]

4. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

Amps are one of the things I think its safe to buy used. If it works at the time of purchase, its probably fine. Especially a Crown. Crown amps are very well built. That said, I would buy a new K1 just because I like being the first person to crack open that box and get that smell [​IMG]

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have bought maybe 10 used amps over the past 10 years or so. The only problem I ever had, was one that came from a smoking household. Smelled every time I fired it up. (Now I ask...) I agree, amps, because they don't have any moving parts, are an easy "used" buy. [​IMG]