Useage question - Sony STR-DE695

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GeorgeTW, May 30, 2004.

1. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

I have heard the woes of this lower end Sony product - AFTER purchasing a demo model for a price of around $239 from Circuit City. They have a special on open-box items, offering free 3-year extended warranty, so It seemed like a good deal. Thus far, the biggest problem is getting through the sub-menus, but there are a couple of quirks that are putting me on the verge of trying to return it.

1. Programming a tuner station requires all the surround sound to be set, which would be fine if one application applied to all the radio stations, but it does not!! Imagine how pissed off I was when I finally got sub-out to turn on (for 2 channel mode), then when I was ready to sit back and scan the bands, the very next station in the preset lost the sub (even tho that station had been set in memory, it had not been set with level, balance, etc.).
    YOU GOTTA BE CRAPPING ME! There is no way in Hades I am going to input 17 params for 23 individual stations. Does anyone know of a shortcut?

2. Next, the DVD audio (coax) seems to follow the video like a bad martial arts movie. Both video and audio are being routed through the HT Receiver. Since DVD digital connections are new to me, could someone please enlighten me on if this is typical? Would the delay still be there is I had a dvd player with an optical connection? I am using no signal processing, just straight digital dolby, no effects or halls selected. It is also noticeable in 2 channel mode
    This delay is not present using the analog audio connections.

The irritating part, is that so far, the sound is clean and smooth, at least to my ears. I have actually taken out Aerosmith's "Toys In The Attic" again and throroughly enjoyed the sound.
    But trying to watch a DVD through the digital audio connection is maddening.

Is this sort of thing typical with any HT receiver? Thanks

2. GeorgeTW

Okay, scratch question #1. The manual did not answer that concern, however I did stumble across that answer on my own. What does suck, is that after all that programming, the tone settings do not stick after being saved (for example, from jazz station to rock station).

I am still trying to figure why the digital audio lags behind video, especially since both video and audio are routed together through the receiver.

3. GeorgeTW

Okay, please disregard this question completely , as I took it back in favor of an Onkyo SR 501 (closeout). The diff in price was about $10, but the general specs seem a bit better.

My very first stereo component was an Onkyo receiver, so I am hoping this product will be as trouble-free.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

George, the out-of-sync A/V tracks could have been caused by your DVD player. This was a common occurrence a few years ago, but player and DVD-authoring technology have improved, making this a less-common problem.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    To answer your other questions, I am moving this to Receivers.