Use Y Splitters for Component

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnnyKretentiv, Mar 13, 2005.

1. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this is a DIY question or what.

I am going to order a Z3 or a AE700 one of these days but want to get my wiring squared away first. I already own a 65" Mitsu so I will need a splitter or switch to keep things simple for my wife and others who my ever attempt to run my HT System.

The Scenario
    I have PS2,HDTV, XBox and DVD Player. I want to use a Audio Authority 1154 auto sensing switch to run the whole deal that way it can handle all the optical audio switching too. But I want to run this to both my projector and my TV. Can I split off each of the colors from mthe Audio Authority's Component out with Y Splitters and send a component cable to each the TV and the projector?

I realize I will get some degradation but many of the sites I have read say that it is negligable. The two displays will never be on at the same time as the screen is in front of the TV.

I would go with a 4x2 Switcher but they don't have optical audio. I could live with that but I want to try the above option first.

FYI - I am trying to avoid the $400 Zektor and Extron boxes.

Thanks in advance.

2. JohnnyKretentiv

Does anyone have any experience with this? Hello....

3. John S

John S Producer

It may work, but I would try my best to find a different solution. Gotta be some sort of switching device that would be better for not to much money I would think.

4. Joe Ogburn

Joe Ogburn Auditioning

While you could use a Y splitter, here is the result:

Both the TV and the Projector TERMINATES the cables in 75 ohms. By using a splitter, you will get a double termination and that will result in half level at each set. I would not recommend going inside to remove the terminations. If you did eliminate both sets of terminations, you would probably get ringing in the video. You are much better off getting some from of distribution amp.

If you insist on attempting to remove the terminations, then you would have to run the cables to the closer unit, make the split there and then run to the further unit. Actually, you should only remove the termination from the closer unit. But be warned, if you change your mind later and attempt to hook-up directly to an unterminated input, you will then get double level and most likely ringing,

But the distribution amp, it is the better deal.

5. JohnnyKretentiv

That the kind of answer I was looking for. It's too bad the darn switches cost more than my dvd player and hdtv decoder combined (Zektor and Extron). I will look at a 4 x 2 swticher that I found on ebay and then handle the audio separately. As long as they are all IR remote controlled I can just program a macro to deal with it.

Thank you very much.

6. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I actually tried doing it and the picture suffers alot. Don't do it, buy a switch or a amplifier with two outputs. The results are more then just negligable.

7. JohnnyKretentiv

Thanks for the advice. I hope this thread helps some other people. I have to imagine there are more than a couple people out there trying to save a buck using this method.

I have since bought a switch and an currently waiting for my Z3 to arrive (this Friday!!!!) We will see how it works then.

8. Darren McGruther

Darren McGruther Stunt Coordinator

john, why is it important to have the audio switching, all of your audio should go to the receiver and not to the tv or the projector, just curious

9. JohnnyKretentiv

I don't ahve enough optical inputs on my reciever. I have a Marantz AV560 pre pro it only has 2 opticals one coax digital. (Who would ever think I needed more than that? Similar to the guy from who said we would never need more than 64 k in out pcs.)

I have x box, ps2, hdtv, dvd.

It's not that important since the ps2's digital sound is subpar anyway.

I am just going to get a 4 x 2 switch and forget about the digial out on the ps2.

Thanks

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You might consider selling the pre pro and buying a new receiver with the proceeds as it should have enough video and audio switching to help...plus you'd save in not having to buy a switch. In my own similar situation I just decided to run s-video to the TV and component to the projector. S-Vid is good enough for the smaller display and it makes it far easier to install as i route all video inputs to the pre pro that upconverts everything to component. The component monitor out goes to the PJ and the s-video monitor out runs to the TV.

11. JohnnyKretentiv

I would like to do that but if I do it now I will no long be alive. I just bought a Sanyo Z3 and all the fixins'(just installed the screen) so I better put the checkbook away for a while. My problem is that I have a HDTV 65 incher so I need to send component signals to that too.

I bought the switch already so I will stick with that until. I get the upgrade bug again. I think I would buy an anthem or a carver pre pro.

Thanks

12. JohnnyKretentiv

I googled my name and found this thread. To bring a sense of closure to the topic, yes the Impact Acousitics switcher works like a charm. Expecially when I use it with my Harmony 880. Highly recommended