Use S Video Cable for 30 foot run ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by lpodoll, Feb 12, 2002.

1. lpodoll

lpodoll Extra

My computer is approximately 30 feet from my television. I would like to run s video from a break out box that is connected to my video card to use my television as a monitor. I have a 35" Toshiba with S-video inputs. For a 30 - 40 foot run, would you recommend using a single s-video cable or are there better alternatives for signal strength? Someone mentioned in another post that you may be able to combine two coaxial cables to form a single s video cable?

I will also be running audio out of my sound card. I have a single male to dual male rca cable that I was planning on connecting to a 20 foot female to male RCA cable to finish the run. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

3. lpodoll

lpodoll Extra

Any opinion whether 30 feet is too long of a run for a standard s video cable? That $90 x 2 is a bit out of my range.

Thanks,

Lee

4. Bill Catherall

It depends on what you mean by "standard s-video cable." SmartHome also has some cheap S-video cable. You can get 50 feet for $21.95 here. You can get 50 feet of Monster cable for $152 here. Or you can get 12 meters of Silver Serpent BetterCables here for $160. I imagine using shielded RG-6 coax cable and those adapters would be about equal to the $150 Monster cable if not better.
    For a 30 foot run I wouldn't trust the $20 cable. What kind of cable (and at what price) did you have in mind?

5. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

I have a run of 28 feet from my audio rack to my RPTV. I would recommend one of the heavier S-Video cables. I paid $150.00 but you could probably pay a little less and still receive an excellent picture.[​IMG]

6. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Like the smarthome product ... but $90 ouch.

I've got a 50 foot run of the cheaper stuff. Around $30.

I only use if for digital cable (non HDTV) and S-VHS.

I don't use the above much at all. Two runs of Component for HDTV and DVD.

7. Bill Catherall

8. lpodoll

lpodoll Extra

Thanks for the replies. I am going to go the inexpensive route to start and then will consider those adapters. I appreciate the feedback.