Use of ECA stack to burn fat while sparing muscle tissue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I'm curious to find out if anyone is using this stack and what were the results. I've used it before to give my workouts a boost but not for fat burning purposes. But now that I've been out of the gym for a year...well, you get the point!

I'm talking about ECA in pure form...not the premade stuff at the GNC like Ripped Fuel, etc.

2. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Ask Korey Stringer, he's an expert on it. Be careful with that stuff.

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im getting back in the gym. I have a VERY slow metabolism. My body adjusts to more meals a day though pretty quickly and it does speed it up a bit, but it makes it very hard for me to loose weight. Im not "overweight" really but would look great if I lost about 10 pounds(all around my stomach). Ive decided to try Hydroxycut.I take Vitamin C, and Multivitamin and a whey drink(2 small ones a day). One think I read was NOT to take Creatine on this sort of stuff.Drink LOTS of water!!! I eat 3 meals plus 3 snacks with a proetin drink adn keep my fat down. I do heavy lifting 3 days a week and spend 45-a hour on the treadmill on 3 other days. Ive only been on this stuff since Saturday and my stomach "feels" a bit tighter, but I havent noticed a differnce in appearance yet.
    The only "side effects" I felt was a bit of lightheadedness after my first dosage. This went away.You must eat and drink water on this stuff. The occassional hotflash and more energy.Dont smoke or drink alchohol either. If your gonna go out drinking dont take a fatburning supplement 24 hours before. Again watch the signs your body gives you. Some people have had very bad reactions to some of these diet and fat burning supplements.
    Im being careful with it of course, starting at the lower dosage and Ill work my way up. I say if you want try these sort of siupllements but be very careful and pay attention to how your body reacts. Remember everyones different and you may react differently than so and so does to some of the supplements.
    Im gonna give the Hydroxycut a month and see how it goes.
    Heres a site I found to be very helpful http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/ Thousands have posted their experiences with different supplements there. Do some research before you decide and be careful.
    Good luck

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks JonZ. I have a friend who used Hydroxycut and got some really good results from it. It's a lot cheaper if you buy the ECA seperately...a month supply is only about $10. Sounds like you have a decent regimen going to lose some fat. I can probably lose about 5 pounds of fat...but I also want to gain back my muscle mass...which can hide a little fat in the mid-section [​IMG]

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

For gaining weight I would suggest a good Whey Protein drink for use after workouts,and eat healthy. Give me some info on yourself.Height, weight, what kind of exercising u do, your routine,how often, all that good stuff.

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Here you go Jonz:
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 197
    I've been lifting weights 5 straight weekdays for about 2 weeks now - weekends off. I just got back from England (hence the mid-section) so I have a lot of time on my hands until I find another position with my company. But my workouts are only about 60-70% intensity level. Once I increase the intensity level I'll probably stagger my workouts a little better for adequate recuperation.
    I do one body part on a given day: chest, back, quads, hammies, and delts. Once I get get going, I plan to ease into a split routine by doing some cardio in the early morning as well, and then my regular weightlifting in the late afternoon. I'll probably do the split days when I'm scheduled for back or hammies...ie., the less taxing muscle groups as compared to say quads!
    I'll doo situps at home...and I can also do biceps and triceps while watching dvds [​IMG]
    So what do you think?

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

When I first started lifting years ago we did the Cybergenics routine:

Day1:Chest Triceps Legs

Day2:Back Shoulders Biceps

Off

Repeat

That sort of training is good for a foundation and breaking you in, but I think that kind of training quickly leads to overtraining. This will vary from person to person and what they think. I tend to go with Mike Mentzers theories in that natural bodybuilders need lots of rest and brief workouts.

Heres what I do:

Monday: Chest, Triceps,Shoulders,Abs(upper)

Tues:45-Hour on Treadmill

Weds:Back,Traps,Biceps,Abs(middle)

Thurs:45-hour on Treadmill

Friday:Legs,Abs(Lower)

Sat:45-hour on treadmill or day off

Sun:Off or repeat cycle

My workouts never last moe than 45 mintues.

When I get to chest again notice theres been 6 or 7days off(depends on how I feel), plenty of time to recoup. After working bodyparts twice a week for a (very) long time I personally think you make better gains from working each part once a week or on the 6th day. Remember that smaller body parts come into play when working larger ones-biceps work when doing back,triceps worked when working chest,shoulders get worked when doing bench presses and so on.

Remember the routines used in the magazines are by guys using steroids and their recovery is helped by the drugs they take. They can work a body part many times a week.If your a natural bodybuilder,you shouldnt.

I also greatly recommend a pre-exhaust exercise to work the muscle so the larger bodyparts arent hampered by the smaller ones. I do flies and then with no rest go into incline presses for chest. This saps the chest so the weaker triceps dont give out before the larger chest-this makes your chest work much harder. Try this for your larger bodyparts- straight armed pullovers for back and flies or cable crossovers or peck deck for chest.This will drop the weight your using some in the beginning,but you will really work the larger muscles much more and youll be supirsed how quiclkly you move back up in weight.I have gotten stronger faster and made better gains with the pre-exhaust routine than ANY other.I go up in reps or weight every week. Even one rep means your on the right track,but Ive often gone up 3 or more from my prior workout on some exercises.I remember the old days doing more sets and not doing preexhaust and getting into really bad sticking points or it taking forever to move up in weight. I havent run into that yet using pre-exhaust techniques.

My last recomendation is for less sets. I only do 2 per bodypart.I sometimes will do 3,drop the weight a bit and really isolate the bodypart

Again these are just suggestions and everyone has their own opinuion on how to train. Ive spent I dont know how many hours inthe gym over the years and this works best for me.

As for food Im a creature of habit and dont easily get bored with plain food. I keeop it simple - chicken, beef,fish,rice, beans,rice,potatoes,pasta etc. I usually eat Aunt Jamima premade waffles or pancakes for breakfast becuase I dont have alot of time inthe morning(theyre cheap, under $2 for a dozen theyre 6 and 8g of protein per serving) and then a few eggs once I get to my desk at work ,Lunch is turkey or Tuna(with whole wheat bread) a small salad and yogurt, dinner is steak, chicken, fish,rice potatoe whatever. I keep a eye on my fat and have a protein shake between my meals and a small snack after dinner.3 meals,2 shakes,1 snack.I nibble on fruit and yogurt through out the day.

Any diet or routine doesnt work overnight(unfortunately)so give it some time-youll probally have to wait at least a month or so for your body to really adjust and see some sort of result.

Im at work and wrote this all pretty quickly at lunch, im sure I left alot out but I hope this helps

BTW, the BEST weight gaining exercise is my least favorite-squats. This puts pressure on your entire body...Legs,gluts,waist,back they expand your ribcage and improve your posture as well. Be careful and use good form. Youd be suprised how much stress your body can handle but a training partner to spot u is always best.

8. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

Kory Stringer died from heat stroke, I think I may have read that his temp. was like 111 degrees. ECA didn't do that to him.
    Lately I've been hearing more and more to drop the A, or reduce to like 1/2 an aspirin per ECA, or maybe just 1 for the first dose of the day. Ephedrine is a pretty powerful stimulant and, like many stimulants, an appitite suppressant. One of the few "supplements" that's actually does anything. Some of the research seems to indicate that the muscle-sparing aspect primarily applies to obese individuals, but others can (and do, of course) for the energy boost and/or appitite suppression (understanding that some muscle loss is unavoidable when in a BMR caloric deficit).
    Misc.fitness.weights USENET is great, if a bit unforgiving to newbies asking questions in the FAQ.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...itness.weights
    Some readings:
    If you like science:
    How ECA Works:
    http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000002.htm (geared toward affects on obese)
    On Aspirin:
    http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000005.htm
    http://members.tripod.com/JPE_Sports...ephedrine.html
    Easier reading, from the Training and Nutrition FAQ:
    http://www.sover.net/~timw/faq18.htm#Ephedrine

9. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

10. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Anyone tried HMB? The latest research points to the creatine/hmb combo for the best results. Only problem is HMB is still kinda pricey...unless they have come down over the lasy year.