What's new

Use of Autosound drivers (Shock, Horror!) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi all,
Thinking about building a HT sub, and am wanting it to be reasonably priced (Read cheap)
My current idea is a small, sealed Linkwitz Transformed sub. I'm quite capable of building a 300W or so sub amp, and have already started sourcing components for it. I've got all the info for Linkwitz Riley crossovers and transforms etc and can certainly see the benefits (So can my lovely wife)
I'm currently tossing up between a 12" or 15" driver, and it'll be a single unit in a max 50 litre box.
Living in New Zealand means that the supply of quality drivers designed for home audio use is rather limited (ie. pretty much non-existent) and thus I have no real choice but to turn to the Autosound market. I am not wanting to spend more than around NZ$250 (US$120) on the driver, and have found a number that MAY be suitable for this price and less.
Can anyone please advise on any REAL sonic trouble that Autosound drivers have over home audio drivers?
Also, if anyone in this portion of the world could give advice as to where to get other drivers, that would be great too :)
Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi All,

I've come across another option that some opinions could be useful...

Adire Audio are offering a Pre-order price on a DPL 12.

It's specs look good:

Fs = 16.3 Hz
Qms = 11.16
Qes = 0.41
Qtx = 0.40
Vas = 149 l
BL = 13.88
Re = 3.36 ohms
Le = 2.38 mH
Sd = 506 cm^2
Xmax = +/- 14.3mm
Pmax = 650 W

Cost = US$95.00 pre-order

The only thing that's holding me back at the moment is the sensitivity, which according to Unibox works out to around 87.8dB at 2.83V/1m. This is 3.8dB lower than the Shiva.

I'll be powering with a 300W into 4 ohm amp, but I'm worried that it won't get loud enough - any thoughts?

Thanks
Jonathan

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Looks like you'll get around 109dB max out of the DPLII. Actually, it's Fs is so low, you'd probably be fine for a sealed sub with the 300 W straight up. 3-4 cu ft and you're only -6 dB at 20 Hz. A lot of that should be made up by room gain.

Pete

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've got four of them, and the DPL12 is a very nice driver, a step above Shiva/Tempest in construction quality.
It models similarly to the original Titanic in a sealed box (very good), but without that nasty poly cone. ;)

Jack, are you using the four drivers in diapole config or is it a different type of enclosure.... detail please. :D
-Jeff

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I currently have them in a "sitting on the floor of my den because all I do is work" configuration. ;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Anyone

Are the TS Prams posted above for Adire DPL12 with coils wired together?
Also the EBP looks to be around 39 or so, is this correct?

So whens your garage sale Jack, you sure got lotsa goodies just sitting their??! We would have to take a number like K-mart or something to control the very hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks