use COINSTAR & get AMAZON gc

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by John*D, Nov 5, 2005.

1. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Coinstar now lets you redeem your coins for electronic GC for:

AMAZON
    PIER 1
    STARBUCKS
    HOLLYWOOD VIDEO

[​IMG] with No Service Fees.

http://coinstar.com/us/WebDocs/A1-0-3-1

This sounds like a great idea! I'm hitting up my local grocery store this week. Last time I used coinstar their fee had to of been like $20-$30.

- p.s. Make sure to check on their web site for your local coinstar machines. Apparently, not all offer this service and NOT all GC options. My local one only shows Amazon as an option, I'll have to check and confirm this this week.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just did this today. [​IMG] I went to 3 grocey stores before finding one that had the Amazon voucher. You can easily check the machines before inserting your coins. Just choose "Gift Card" as a payment option and the machine will show you what cards area available (with no CoinStar fee, which is normally 8.9 cents on a dollar).

I have one of those giant plastic Coke bottles that I've been putting my change into the past 10+ years and it was FULL! It took me FOREVER to use the coinstar machine, but I walked out with a $513.45 Amazon voucher [​IMG]

p.s. They even had a Starbucks card voucher.

p.s.s. You actually don't get a gift card, the reciept prints out a gift cert. code that you enter at:
    www.amazon.com/coinstar

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Do you have to put all the money on one GC or can it be split? GC to Starbucks AND Amazon would be heaven!

4. John*D

John*D Second Unit

I don't know. If it can't be done, just split up the coins and do it twice. Not all machines have the option of the certificates and not all machines offer all 4 stores as options.

5. MarkHastings

Yeah, I would just go through the process twice.

You can see your total as you put in the coins, so just stop it when you've reached the $$ amount you want.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG] Looks like it'll be happy holidays for Mark! [​IMG]

7. MarkHastings

Yeah, that equates to a nice 14" Flat panel LCD TV for my bedroom!! [​IMG]

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Is that really what you're doing with the $$$?!?!

If so, cool. Very cool.

9. MarkHastings

Well, since I just bought a new condo, my old 'bedroom' TV went into my spare bedroom (where my computer is), so I would like to get a new tv for my main bedroom. I bought a nice 14" Sharp LCD for my kitchen and LOVE it, but I couldn't see spending $400 on another one for my bedroom.

I hardly watch much TV in bed, so it seemed like a lot to spend on a 'every now and then' thing. I was thinking of getting a cheap $120, 20" tv from somewhere like Target, but the thought of another big bulky tv (that I won't use that often) was persuading me not to bother with it.

I am not 100% sure, but I MAY just use the money to get a nice LCD for the bedroom.

Hell, why not [​IMG]

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Here's another option. Take the coins to your bank. If they don't do it at that branch, they send to the main branch were they have a machine and will deposit the money to your account and there is no charge.

The coins don't have to be rolled. As long as you have an account at that bank, there should be no problem.

11. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Take the coins to your bank. If they don't do it at that branch, they send to the main branch were they have a machine and will deposit the money to your account and there is no charge.

What bank do you use? Many now charge a fee for accepting coins, whether rolled or not. Some won't take loose coins at all.

My credit union has a machine like the Coinstar. They charge a 3% fee, even though the money ends up going in your account.

12. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

This thread inspired me to convert my loose change while I had some time off last week. I had one of those big plastic Coke bottles filled about half way up. I'm lucky in that my credit union has one of those machines and doesn't charge a fee to use it. After about 20 minutes of dumping change in it (and totally filling up the penny portion of the machine causing a teller to have to change out the bag) I was left with $584! [​IMG]

The Coke bottle is now back in the corner of the closet ready to start again.

13. MarkHastings

LOL - Mine too! It actually scared me because after 10+ years of being full of change, I was used to the quiet sound the coins made when I dropped them in. NOW, they make a loud THUNK and there's an echo. [​IMG] it totally caught me by surprise...I haven't heard that noise in YEARS!