use AVIA or Sound and Vision to optimize region free dvd player?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Judy Y, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I have a Philips 726 and use it to play PAL discs from region 2. The picture is no where NEAR what I get from my old JVC 523. Will I be able to help at all by using AVIA or another similar type disc? Or is this player just not as good as my JVC? Or is the Buffy season 5 I am watching just a poor quality transfer? Any help would be appreciated.

I am sure I have the player set up to do progressive scan, (if it does this with PAL discs???)

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

It doesn't matter whether it's a region free or a region locked player, you definitely want to calibrate the TV w/ S&V or Avia. Each player is different, and every time you get a new player it's a good idea to calibrate the TV to match it.

The Philips probably isn't going to be as good as the JVC or some other larger name brands in picture quality, but you will have a better picture by callibrating it. If you still have the JVC and are only using the Philips to play other region discs, I take back everything I said. I would keep the calibration for the JVC if that's your main player and learn to live with the worse quality on other region discs. Also, I definitely wouldn't use the Buffy TV sets from any region to measure the picture quality of a player. They aren't the best.

3. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Ronn, thanks for your response. I know Buffy isn't the best- region 1 or 2 but it has NEVER looked this bad. I tried setting my new player up but it won't pass a pluge signal, as near as I can tell. I am quite disappointed. Maybe in a year or so I will step up to a modded JVC. Meanwhile, I will watch everything I can on my region 1 JVC!

4. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

I am thinking about this player as a replacement for a Toshiba 3900 strictly for non Region 1 DVDs. One question for you: Does it pass DTS to a receiver?