Use a PocketPC as a Remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I've been informed that it's possible to use a PocketPC (with the Strong ARM processors) as a Pronto Remote wannabe (though the IR range is limited to around 10 feet). You need to get the software available from PDAWIN to make it work like a Pronto.
    Has anyone does this? I ask this because I was given a Toshiba E570 PocketPC at work (as a strange bonus), and I could decide to give the remote control a whirl, or just sell it on Ebay.

2. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,
    The pocketpc remote that pdawin.com has for 15$ is definately worth the $15 dollars. It uses .ccf files and the ir learning capabilities of the software are very easy to use and very fast. The only down side is the IR in the pocketpc is weak, about 10' max. I use a ir repeater and I dont have any problems and Im about 15' away. There is a demo on there site that lets you try it 15 times, I suggest trying that and then decide.[​IMG]

3. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I use my Handspring Visor with Omni Remote as a universal remote for my receiver, DVD player, TV, and VCR. It works rather well, its easy to set up also. Although I will probably get a decent universal remote later on, the Visor has a "cool" factor to it.

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Apple's iPod may be used as a remote as well, with a third party attachment.

5. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Does your Visor use a springboard module or the built in infrared?

6. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

The Visor is using the built in IR. And its not perfect, for instance, I have a macro button that powers on the TV, receiver, dvd player, and VCR.....sometimes it misses the receiver. But otherwise I have had no problems with it.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My problem with these has always been that if I were to use a PDA as my remote I'd obviously have to leave the PDA around if anyone wanted to use the HT. If you're the only person using your HT then this might work ok but for me it just woundn't fly. Besides given how cheap first gen pronto's are now I'd sell the PDA pat and but a pronto.