usb2 or firewire for cd writer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lorenzo K, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

guys help me choose a cdwriter for a laptop. i have narrowed it down between an acer 24x that has both firewire and usb2 connections and an asus 40x that is usb2 only. my laptop has a firewire port but no usb2. this means that i have to buy a usb2 pcmcia card making the asus a little bit more expensive but still w/in budget.

as i understand it usb2 can reach bursts of 480mb while firewire can sustain 400mb. is this correct and will it play a factor considering that the cd writer can not make full use of it?

thanks.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    In testing, it showed that firewire was faster overall, while the USB2.0 had a higher max speed it couln't keep it up. Firewire was more consistent.

3. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

24X vs. 40X. How many CDs do you burn? How much is your time worth? I have a 40X burner and I would go crazy if I had to go back to 24X.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

5. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

I don't burn a lot of cds, But I will also be using it as my cdrom. My cdrom is about to die. Does not want to read cds. Have to reboot or reload the cd several times for it to detect it (when it works)

6. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

Definately go with a Firewire drive. If you can't live with a 24x, then shop for another one, but definately make it Firewire.