What's new

USB Thumbdrive help (1 Viewer)

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
So I was hoping someone on HTF could help me out. I have a Memorex USB Thumbdrive that I have been using since December with no problems. (Dell laptop running XP Pro) Today I go to save some files, and the computer does not recognize the drive and says 'USB devise not recognized'

So I attempt to troubleshoot. On one screen it says no drivers are installed, then another says it can not find a better driver than what is already installed. The CD that came with it has drivers for Windows 98 only, and Memorex has no updates for XP on their website.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

JP

Denward

Supporting Actor
There are no XP drivers for USB because XP inherently supports USB so you shouldn't need a USB driver.
I would find another PC that you can plug your thumb drive into (Win98SE or newer). If that still doesn't work, I'd say you've got a broken thumb.:b

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Denward thanks for the reply. When I first got the unit I attempted to use it with my home PC that is running 2000pro. Never worked. Only worked with the laptop, now it doesn't work at all. I'm gonna have to call Memorex. Thanks for all the help!

JP
:)

Denward

Supporting Actor
That's strange because W2000 supports USB as well. In fact, I have XP at home and 2000 at work and I regularly transport files back and forth. I don't know if USB support needs to be enabled somehow on these operating systems.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Have you recently installed any new software?

I know Easy CD Creator causes a problem with USB mass storage devices if you do not have the latest update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.