USB or PCMCIA hds component out for laptop

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_J_Potter, May 11, 2005.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I am looking for a way to output HD video from my laptop to my HDTV (1080I native). Does anyone make a adaptor that is USB or pcmcia that will allow me to do that. I would love to be able output HD through my laptop since I don't want to invest in a HTPC right now. I do not need recording capabilites at this time.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

The standard vga out, which is a near standard option on all laptops will do this for you. The only problem you might encounter is that you need an adapter to convert the hd15 connecter to something else, like DVI-I.

Also you will want to get a program called pawerstrip to alter the resolution to 1080i, make sure you set it to interlaced, else it will spit out 1080p which can be a real burden on processing.

3. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Ok I found the cables I may order one this week and test it out. My other question is do I have to worry about the resolution the laptop can display. Will powerstrip allow me to run it at 1920x1080 even though the card can't display that high of a resolution natively to a vga monitor, the laptop can output up to 1600x1200 Also will the cable I use be a issue and I will most likely need a component switch box also, will this affect quality drastically coming from a VGA out.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Maybe / maybe not. . . you should be able to turn off the laptop monitor or set up the HDTV as a secondary monitor. Either route should allow you to set higher resolutions. But honestly, I believe powerstrip will be able to set that high a resolution.