1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

USB Keychain Flash Memory - Recommendations? Cross-Platform issues?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Feb 29, 2004.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Any recommendations on one of those keychain memory sticks? It looks like they are all cross-platform, but are there any issue with going back and forth between a mac and a pc?

I have Mac-Opener on my pc because my external HD's only work on the platform it was formatted on...is this the same as the keychains? or do they work (without 3rd party software) on both platforms?

My main need is to transport files between my home and work. I have a PC at home and at work, but I also have a Mac at work and I want to be able to easily transfer my MP3's from my home PC (WinXP) to my Mac (OSX) at work.

So I was thinking about the 256MB version. Do they make GB versions?

Any maker/model suggestions?

Thanks

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Yes they do make GB versions, they are pricey, though.

One thing to take into account is the size. Make sure they are small enough to fit your USB port and are not colliding with anything else you might have e.g. in the USB port right next to where you plan to plug the memory in.

Other than that, I don't think you'll have platform issues. The one I got for Christmas worked fine on my PC, as well as my Mac (with OS X).

-Christian

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Read the reviews on Newegg for each, some are better quality than others. Also look for USB 2.0 for obviously faster data transfer.

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have used Kingston, Lexar and Iomega cross-platform and they all work fine. I didn't need any third party software to use them on the PC.

5. MarkHastings

Do these seem to be fairly priced?
    http://www.usbflashstore.com/usb.html

The Lexar 1GB/USB 2.0 seems like a worthy contendor at $349Yeah, it's hard to tell from the pictures online [​IMG]

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have the dell, no problem on cross-platform, plug and play- every had a single problem, never had to install anything.

-V

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I have several of these, 4 actually my biggest is 1 gb 2 of them are 512 and the other is 256. they are totally handy, especially if you are a techie, you can even boot off of them if you needed to, if its supported by the bios.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Good LAWD!!! I clicked on the link Mark provided and I saw 2GB flash drives!!!

I may be getting a 256 one in the near future, so is Lexar fine for everyone who has one?

Mark, Amazon is MUCH cheaper. $279.88 for the 1GB one.

9. MarkHastings

Thomas, I originally did a search on Amazon (obviously not too well) and came across a Digitalway drive. They had a 1.5GB (USB 2.0) for only $179.84 and I was bit skeptical (even more so now that no one has mentioned this company), but I just did a new search for Lexar and found the 1GB one for $279. I think I'll be getting that one.

p.s. here's a link to the Digitalway 1.5GB

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I have one, it is formatted in Fat32 and works on both my Macs and PCs without any problems whatsoever.

11. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah the lexars are fine. the buslinks are also pretty good.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I have a Lexar Jumpdrive 2.0 Pro, 256 mb USB 2.0. It works well. However, the design leaves much to be desired: The cap can be lost easily. It can be placed on a keychain, but the plastic seems a bit flimsy. There is no neckstrap. The size is a bit too big to use with some laptops.

At work I use a Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256mb USB 2.0. It is AWESOME. These can be found at costco. The one I have is very thin, only slightly thicker than the USB plug itself. The cap can be taken off and placed on the back of the stick, so you can't lose it. It has a neckstrap with a quick release plug, and a nice glowing green light at the back. Very well designed. And best of all: it is 30% cheaper than the Lexar Jumpdrive Pro 256mb ($78 CDN vs. $120 CDN)!

But beware! There are two versions of the Cruzer Mini: The awesome ultra-thin one I have at work, and a much much thicker version with a (IMO useless) write-protect switch. So, be careful to find the nearly-gum-stick thin version of it, unless you really need the writeprotect.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have the same drive as Max and it works just fine on Mac's and PC's

14. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

DON'T buy an AVB. I had one quit working and know of two other people who have had them just fail.

They all come up and say unrecognized USB device when you plug them in.

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Apparently there are newer Lexar models (Elite and Sport) that have a small form factor like the Sandisk Mini Cruzers. They are even cheaper than the Jumpdrive Pro's! Might be worth checking out...

16. MarkHastings

The annoying thing is, the stores don't carry anything larger than 256MB. [​IMG] This is one purchase that I'd like to be able to physically see before purchasing it (i.e. I'm trying to avoid buying it online).

17. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Where's the fun in seeing it before you buy? [​IMG]

The Sandisk from costco is a steal. The 256meg one was like $50 or something like that.

The LEXAR 256meg jump drive was onsale at my local frys electronics for $50. When none of them were on sale, I got a Lexar jump drive for $30 (64meg) a while back that I still use.

They cross platforms just fine, I love them over zip disks when working between macs and pcs.

The lexar one has really took a beating as i've dropped it, and keep it in my backpack which gets tossed around. It still holds up fine. hehe

18. MarkHastings

I just ordered the Lexar 1GB jumpdrive from Amazon. I guess I could have bought (4) 256MB ones, but for $279.88, it's nice to have the full gig in one unit.

Max, it took me this long to decide because I was thinking about how you said the Lexar caps aren't tight, but there are many good choices once you get higher than 256MB. I'll be carrying this around in a small box inside my bookbag, so it should be safe if the cap ever falls off.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

19. MarkHastings

Update, I just got my drive and it works flawlessly (without any installing of drivers) on the Mac and PC. I was a bit worried about it fitting in the USB slot next to my keyboard, but there is no interference.

The cap also seems to be fairly stable. It has a clip on it that sits fairly secure.

I'm transferring 750MB of music and it's cruisin' along. [​IMG] Not too shabby.

20. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I have a 128 MB USB flash drive from Shikatronics. I use it mainly to hold a supplementary backup of our company's main software package.

The company does offer security software for the drive on their Web site, but I found it to be simply annoying. I simply reformatted the drive and left it at that.