USB Headphone Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Colin Davidson, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Greetings:

I am looking to purchase a set of UBS headphones for the PC. My current speakers, Altec 2.1's, do not have a headphone jack and I am pretty happy with the sound quality and output. I would eventually like to buy 5.1 or 6.1 speakers but the current location of the PC (kitchen) does now allow for a 5.1 arrangement.

I read about Logitech's in the current PC Gamer issue and that is what got me going on this track. Looking for any recommendations, positive or negative on what I should consider. $100 is the extreme upper limit of the budget and would prefer to stay in the $40 - $60 range or even lower but they have to be good quality.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

2. Ben.K

Ben.K Auditioning

USB? I'm not sure they make any decent headphones with USB connectors.

3. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I use this (link and info below). It's just a simple switch, and the sound quality is fine, even from my Sennheiser 600's. There aren't many quality USB headphones worth their price, IMO. Just buy a audio switch/selector, there are other more heavy duty ones than this if you're worried about the sound quality. That way you can spend your money on regular/nicer headphones, which can be used with other sources...

RadioShack 26-204 Computer Headphone Speaker Switch
    It provides a straight pass-through for your current PC speakers, while offering 2 inputs in the front for a pair of headphones and headset jack. I just use the headphone input. Press the switch and it routes the audio to your headphones instead of your speakers. If the link doesn't work, just search for Model#: 26-204 at Radioshack's website.

Hope this helps...

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

as far as headphones go, get a set of Grado SR-60's. you'll thank me later

5. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

James,

Thank-you! I had no idea they had such a thing available. I looked at it on Radio Shacks site and they had a coupon for 35% off as well which means it's $9.99. Coupon expires today so I will be getting it this morning.

Matt, I do have a pair of SR-60's that I will now be using thanks to James info.

Greatly appreciate everyone's help.