What's new

USB Ethernet Adapter for PS2... which one/price? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,
Just wondering which USB Ethernet adapter people would recommend for using on the PS2? Also, I was looking around at costs, and they seem to be very unreasonable!!
The average cost from the ones I looked at were $75-$80CDN. A 10/100 PCI ethernet card can be had for $20CDN. I seriously doubt that the actual cost difference between the two is $60. So why is the cost so high on these?
Thanks.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
There is a huge difference in price between a USB ethernet adapter and a PCI card. You should be able to find a Linksys USB ethernet adapter for around $50 new (U.S.).
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Umm, I think you may have missed my point Dave. I realize that there is a huge difference in cost between USB and PCI ethernet, but what I'm saying is that there is no reason for there to be that huge difference in cost. I mean come on...we're paying $60CDN extra for a plastic casing and a different connection interface. That's insane!!
So, $50US is roughly $75 Canadian, so I guess you're stuck paying that insane cost down south as well then.
Well, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and shell out the dough for one. I just pray to God that each and every game that is online supports a USB Ethernet adapter. I don't want to get that one "high profile" online game that only supports the Sony brand 'Network Adapter'. Grr, don't even get me started on Sony's Network Adapter. They fact that they have the nerve to make us pay extra for a combo card (Ethernet + 56K modem), when all you would need would be one or the other is annoying.
Anyways though, that's enough ranting from me I guess :)
TTYL
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I recently had to buy an adapter for my DSL, so I already have one (the Linksys one, actually).
Yeah, its insane, but you don't just use it for a PS2. You can use it for a PC also, which justifies the price somewhat. Then again, I think the PS2 one offers 56k and broadband in one and for $40, which makes it a better deal.
I think Square's games require a PS2 modem.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
D Link Systems DSB-650 USB TO ETHERNET 10BT CONVERTER IN RETAIL BOX DSB650. $ 26 $6-$9 VIA UPS GROUND SERVICE (INSURED) 11/3/2001 11:57:49 PM CT PCBay
800-832-5168
714-669-5168 -- School&Govt P.O.'s accepted
Online Ordering CA
That's like....$40 Canadian? That's the best price there is for a compatible USB adaptor. The sony ethernet adaptor is different than these, so it's no guarantee that the USB adaptor you buy for TH3 will work for other games. Will that deter me? Heck no.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is an expensive hobby, I wouldn't blink at $40 for an adaptor. You can always get at least half of your money back on eBay when Sony screws you over. :)
I'd also never cheap out by making my PC and console use the same ethernet adaptor. Stick a $10 NIC in the PC!

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Andy,
There are also PCI ethernet cards that cost $100+. The $20 cards are that price for a reason. You get what you pay for.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Yea, and if you pay $100 for an ethernet card you're getting ripped off big time! I really doubt that you would notice any difference between a $30CDN D-Link, 3Com, or Intel card over a $100CDN version.
All I'm saying here is that 10/100 USB Ethernet Adapters are far overpriced, and I'm annoyed by it.
biggrin.gif

I think I'll just wait until Sony's adapter comes out, since it will be priced the same as a USB adapter and will surely be compatible with every online PS2 game.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Show me ANY place you can find a 100mbit 3com ethernet card for $30 canadian!

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Yea, and if you pay $100 for an ethernet card you're getting ripped off big time!
I'm sorry Andy, but that is a flase statement.
Sure, if you're a regular home user looking to get high speed internet access, any card will do. As you start dealing with larger networks and bandwidth intensive applications the cheap cards just can't cut it anymore.
Go out and buy a pair of cheap cards and a pair of $100 cards. Have each pair transfer multiple large files at a time. You'll quickly see why the cheap cards are cheap.
Your comment is just like saying that anyone buying a system faster than a P3 866 is waisting their money. Sure, for those using it to browse the internet and type simple documents, you'd be correct. But for people that have applications that will make use of the extra power (database management, 3D rendering, etc.), it's definately an advantage to have a P4 2Ghz.
Sorry for the rant, but I've been a network admin for many years now. I don't like when I see someone post information like this without completely understanding what they're talking about.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hmm, maybe I should have mentioned something about "home use" then :)
I guess this is something that I'm going to need to test out for myself then. (I just can't bring myself to spend $100 on an Ethernet card for every computer in my house)
Oh well, I guess I wont be seeing this difference for quite a while then.
BUT, I think my original statement still stands true, that 10/100USB Ethernet adapters are overpriced.
Well, TTYL
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

David Ely

Supporting Actor
There are quite a few lower priced USB ethernet adapters on the market. Linksys has an adapter that sells around $35Cdn. Just like PCI adpaters, you get what you pay for with the USB units. But, the current USB adpaters are still extremely limited by the USB v1 interface.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/networking.html#adapt
While the Linksys unit can't ever reach a sustained throughput of even 10Mb/sec, it's definately fast enough for high-speed internet access (usually no higher than 5Mb/sec).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks