What's new

USB 2.5" Hard Drive Adapter - does this exist? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I will need to migrate a lot of data from old laptops to new laptops, and rather than get bogged down with setting up workgroups and using an ethernet hub or crossover cables, I would like to utilize the USB port of the new laptop.

So, does anyone know if there are 2.5" laptop hard drive adapters that plug into the USB port, and is read by the new laptop PC (running either Windows 2000, or Windows XP) just like another slave hard drive (similar to how Compact Flash/SmartMedia card readers work with USB ports)? TIA.

I'd ask the people to take out their old 2.5" laptop hard drives and pop them into the adapter and then attach it to the new laptop's USB port, and once the new laptop boots up, it should see the USB hard drive as another slave hard drive, and then it'd be easy to copy data from old hard drive to the new hard drive.

The reason for this solution is because I won't be doing the migrating, other people with not-so-savvy PC skills would be doing the migrating of the data from the old hard drive to the new hard drive at their remote location, so I can't offer hands on help.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you need one of the many USB2.0 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosures available. This local store carries a whole bunch of them. No, they don't ship, but they do include pictures and prices in Canuckbucks ($1 US = $1.6 CDN, roughly) that could help you in your research. Seems like you can pick one up for $100 US or less...

http://www.memoryexpress.com/FrameEnclosure.php

The above link includes 5.25" external HD/CD-ROM enclosures as well, so read the specs carefully. :)

BTW, USB2.0 is also backwards-compatible with USB 1.1, so don't let the USB2.0 spec scare you or your clients with older laptops.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
hmm, could always look into the USB pen drives, they are starting to become quite popular on campus as they are plug n' play and self-installing. Just plug it into the usb port and off you go. computer will just pick it up as another hardrive. They make them in various sizes up to 2gb, they can be a bit pricey. But of the college kids I know that use them they love them, far more than a zip drive for it's ease of use .

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Patrick:

Do you know if the laptops you're transporting to have USB 2.0?

I ask because I found a couple of drives on CompGeeks, where I bought my hard drive enclosure.

The USB 1.1 models (in blue and navy colors) are quite a bit cheaper than the USB 2.0/Firewire combo version.

Either way though, it should present a good solution to your problem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks