usb 2.0 problem - random disconnects

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

my pc has been doing this for a while, but it's starting to annoy me.

i have several devices hooked up to my usb 2.0 (powered) hub. on occasion, my pc will randomly disconnect these devices. then try to reconnect. then later disconnect again, etc.

i'm sure it's *not* my hub as the same thing occurs when i plug my device directly into the mb. i have four usb ports on my board and it does this regardless of which port i choose.

all my drivers are up to date, etc.

so, anybody have any guesses? it seems to me like something isn't right on the mb itself. i have an asus p4533-e board.

thx!

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Probably a bad solder job on the motherboard. Another possibility is that you have a flaky device hooked up. For example, an old Microsoft Intellimouse optical (the first one) I had would wreak havoc on my USB devices because the mouse was poorly made and would disconnect and reconnect dozens of times per second!

Removing the mouse fixed it...(BTW, I have stuck with Logitech mice since! :p) )

3. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

What southbridge chipset does that motherboard use? I don't think it's a solder problem since it's happening on all 4 ports. The chance of a bad solder job on all 4 ports should be pretty unlikely. Most likely I'd say your chipset is going bad, especially if this problem has only started happening recently. You might want to try getting an external PCI USB 2.0 card and use that.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...that may be a good idea. i already have a firewire card on one of my pci slots...may as well add a usb slot.

when you say chipset, do you mean that my board has a chip specifically for the usb ports? also, i'm not sure how to determine what's on my north or south bridges. i built my own pc, but i'm not *that* techy. [​IMG]

5. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

You might poke around in you BIOS under the USB settings and try to increase your USB voltage. The past few Asus boards I owned had this option available. I ran mine at Medium, but if you have a bunch of devices daisy-chained to your hub, perhaps setting it to high may cure your problems.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

usb ports are controlled by the chipset on the mobo, some of them dont support usb as good as they should, a pci usb card should eliminate any issue with that. I know that SIS chipsets have alot of issues with usb in general.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx for the tip duane. i'll take a look at my bios settings as well. but i'm starting to warm up to the pci card. i'll see what discount i can get at bb (assuming they carry such a thing).

8. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

PCI cards should be pretty dirtcheap. The USB is normally located in the southbridge chipset. Has your computer been doing this from when you first bought it, or just recently? If it's only recently, I'd be concerned about the health of the motherboard in general. It's never a good thing when the southbridge starts acting up...

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd go for a software crunch, but no matter. It would be easy to go into hardware devices, and remove your USB devices and reboot, having the 2.0 driver handy. If it crashes after that, I'd go shopping.

Glenn

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i got the adaptec pci usb2.0 card and installed it last night. that seems to have fixed the problem. i'm not getting those random disconnects anymore.

thx for the tip. i got it for 15 bucks, so i'm pretty stoked.

i tried all the software angles i could. updated all drivers, etc. that just didn't seem to fix it. this has been acting up for a few months now, but it seems to have gotten worse ever since i added my latest usb external hd (guess it's what broke the camel's back).

incidently, on a side note, after installing the pci card, i went into device mgr and took a look at my usb settings. i figured since i wasn't using my mb's usb drivers, i could disable them (the intel drivers). i went ahead and did that and all appears to be working normally, but should i really have done that? does it make a difference?

thx again everyone!

11. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Ted,

Assuming you didn't have any resource conflicts, it didn't really matter. If you can disable them in the bios, then that's the best way to do it.

I'm glad the new pci card is working out for you.

If you were plugging the hdd into the hub, i don't think that would damage the motherboard since it's also drawing power off the hub. If you were seeing device connects even with a single device attached, then it probably wasn't a power problem. It really depends on the motherboard implementation and how the power is split among ports.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx john.

yeah, i'm nearly positive it wasn't the hub for the exact reasons you listed. it's a powered hub anyway. but even with just one device attached directly to the mb, it was giving me those disconnects.

haven't had a problem since installing the pci board. i gotta admit, htf is a great place. i doubt i would have ever thought of that myself.

[​IMG]