What's new

USB 2.0 CD burner compatible with USB1.1? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Will a USB 2.0 burner work okay with the standard USB 1.1? I assume it'll be slower if it does, but will it still work?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
As far as I know the USB 2.0 standard is backward compatible with the USB 1.1 standard, so anything made with USB 2.0 should work on 1.1 and vice versa, although the difference in speeds may cause some unexpected problems. For your CD writer I would reccomend burning at slower speeds to try and prevent any issues. Although if your going to be keeping your computer for a while you might look into a USB 2.0 pci card.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Actually, its for my dad's laptop. The USB burner itself says it comes with a USB2.0 PCI card, but since its a laptop, we're gonna have to buy an extra PCMCIA card if we do get it. But if its compatible with USB1.1, then we dont have to shell out the extra $ if we dont have to.

Lorenzo K

Agent
The burner will work. It will be a lot slower. Acer's website states that their 24X usb2 burner will run as a 6x burner on usb1.
Looks like you will have to shell out the extra $ for the pcmcia card unless your willing to wait 30 mins to burn a cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks