USAToday reviews the 2004 WRX STi

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, May 10, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...5-08-sti_x.htm

[​IMG]
    (video available)

At 5.1 sec 0-60 and 13.8 in the quarter mile it's a little slower than I though it would be (with a blown 2.5L I thought it would crush the latest Evo) but it's still a little speed demon. Though with a $31.5k price tag it puts the STi against cars with similar performance so I'm guessing I will see even less STi's on the road than the already small amount of WRX's I see now.

Do you guys like the styling of the new model? The guy in the video says "it's very fast, very ugly, very expensive." I guess that's debatable but I actually like the big round headlights of last year. *ducks*

2. Dillon Poole

Dillon Poole Agent

The front end looks almost like a cross between the Sentra and a Corolla. I'd kill to have one but if it was the STi and the Evo...I'd take the Evo in a heartbeat, I just dig its styling more, I still like boxey (sp?) looking cars over overly curvy cars.

[​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

boy I just don't care for those new headlights. I like my bug eyes.
    However, sooner or later some HS kid is going to total mommy and daddys new STi and I'll be all over the engine and trans like white on rice [​IMG]

it's also worthwhile to note, in the case of the current car and driver the cars were within .1 of each other, but the cars were not tested on the same day, nor at the same track. YMMV.

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

5. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I personally have a Z28 but I also love the WRX and Evo. I read about all cars not just american. Just think what it would do if you put a little tuning in it. You can probably increase performance significantly with a boost controler. Also keep your eyes on the new neon it will be a turbo car to. It will run 13's in the quarter. But if I had to chose it would be the WRX.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the SRT-4? they're already out there. Aside from traction issues (that much hp in a FWD??) they seem to be damn quick. Nasty insurance rates I'm sure. Not that my WRX is cheap [​IMG]

7. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I am currently leasing an '01 Lexus IS300.... my lease is up in ten months and I will seriously think about the new WRX STi. I want to wait and check it out in person. Not sure if I'll be able to handle the styling of it. There are certain places it just looks... well... odd. But 300 horsepower? 300 ft-lbs torque? *faint* That is to die for. [​IMG] It would run circles around my IS300.

Scott.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Scott, why don't you hook up with someone in your area and drive a used WRX first, maybe it'll give you a better feel for the car. New cars always drive beautifully, take a used one out. I have an idea the straight WRX will give your is300 a run [​IMG]

from what I understand the '04 seats are a bit wider, a few cosmetic things, and of course the STi has the 2.5 litre, which we'll see if it's as good as the tried and true 2.0
    hopefully the paint is a bit better and the transmissions hold up to some abuse. [​IMG]

9. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

We have the WRX wagon. It's my wife's car but I get to drive it sometimes. It's monterously fast and the only use for another 75HP would be to make a serious attempt to get yourself arrested for street racing.

The thing I like most is that the stupid SUV drivers in TX think it's just another mini-wagon until they try to cut you off and you blow past them. You can be three car lengths ahead in an instant. And if you really need to accelerate, you can downshift to 4th!

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

11. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Are there any credible numbers for 5-60, 20-70, 30-100 and the like floating around for the WRX/Sti? Measuring from dead stop with these extra light AWD cars is a bit misleading.

12. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Gotta say I love my WRX, but hate the way it looks. The STI is only more ugly. I really hate what They've done with it, In the looks department. Same goes for the Evo. The only thing I like about he EVO looks is the reverse scoop on the hood.

I've read several car reports on both cars, and some have the STI behind the EVO in 0-60 and 1/4mile times while being ahead in the slalom but behind in the braking. And others have the exact opposite, where the STI beats the EVO in the 0-60 and 1/4, but gets beat in the slalom.

They seem to be fairly close. However I would say that stock from the dealer the STI is able to be moded for a higher power easier than the EVO. The EVO has the same size engine the WRX has, there just pushing more air into it.

If I had to choose between the 2, I would stick with Subaru.

I'm waiting for the 2.5 Blown Baja myself [​IMG]

13. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I definitely like the new styling better than my bug-eyed WRX, but neither the EVO or the STi will win awards for good looks.

I've yet to see a true, same conditions, side-by-side test of the two cars. With the results this far, it's pretty safe to assume their performance will be nearly identical. The EVO has shorter gearing, making acceleration faster, but it is said to be a bit frantic on the freeway. The STi has a sixth gear for cruising.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

15. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

It certainly isn't the prettiest car on the block... but wiht those kinda performance numbers, horsepower, and torque.... who cares what it looks like? [​IMG]

just kidding...

Scott.

16. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

17. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    For an eye-opening comparison of the Evo to other cars, see Motor Trend's top speed shootout in June's issue. The Evo compares quite well to the Viper, Vette, Ferrari, et al. It is very intriguing to say the least. If memory serves, the Evo actually came in 3rd or 4th for the slalom test, beating out Ferrari among others. Performed strong in most of the other tests as well, especially considering that it costs as little as 1/10 as much as some of the competition.

18. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I relaly have liked the WRX for a long time but think it's b*tt ugly. But, if I didn't want to spend over 30k for a new car, it was the only game in town.

Terrific little wagon - I think it would becool for Subaru to release an STI wagon.

19. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

well. All I have to say is the guy that sold me my WRX auto-x'd every weekend. In the stock category he embarassed z06's every weekend.