What's new

USA Today Story on DVD--Need Help!! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, I hope you do stick around and contribute to the HTF. Especially as an Editor at Video Store Magazine, you could contribute a lot.
Telling us to lighten up is actually asking a lot, as we're all deeply committed. And many of us ought to be committed, if you know what I mean!
crazy.gif
wink.gif

Guys, Thomas mentioned in his reply to my note that he might use some of this material for an article in VS Magazine. I'm sure something there would go more in-depth than in USA Today.
For what it's worth, we probably can't understand very deeply the appeal of the article becuase we are not, after all, "J6P". Although I try to avoid the use of that term, since it's meant as an insult (remember, in some other hobby we are all J6P), it's appropriate in this context. He was getting our input to pass on to J6P, but not the deep kind of education many of you desired. Yes, the term DVD ought to be a household word by now. However, not everyone who's heard the term really knows what's going on. USA Today's goal was to get those guys started, so they can stop being behind the 8-Ball. I immediately saw that this was the goal of the article.
Hopefully, in the future, bigger issues (TO *US*) like OAR vs MAR can be covered in a periodical with a circulation like USA Today. In the meantime, we won't accomplish anything by driving Thomas away. M'kay?
For now, maybe Thomas can help us out. If he's not prevented from saying so, maybe he can share with us the retailers who are indicating a preference for MAR videos. I'm sure Wal-Mart and Blockbuster lead the pack, and K-Mart might be in there (though I don't agree with that; they carry some pretty esoteric HT-enthusiast-type stuff at times, not to mention most of Anchor Bay's lineup). But the question is: Any Surprises? Anyone we would be shocked to know is endorsing MAR items? Circuit City? Best Buy? Fry's? Costco? TWEC? Suncoast? Amazon?
The goal would be to identify them, so that we could POLITELY send them letters, letting them know that, to us, NO OAR = NO SALE. Thus better informing them about their customer base.
You see, if these stores sell widescreen stuff, because that's what's mostly out there, and pan-and-scan-lovers complain about the black bars...well, the OAR-lovers like us don't complain yet, because we got nuthin' to complain about! But maybe we need to let them know that a problem COULD be coming down the road, if they encourage change.
It would be a terrible thing for them to find out, after they succeed in crippling or killing OAR at the studios, that the majority of their customers are HTF-types after all!
Thanks, Thomas.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I just want to say thank you to Thomas for making me a minor celebrity among my family, friends and co-workers....
BTW, Thomas was given a lot more info than he actually used -- I sent him a pretty long paragraph -- but as a journalist myself, I understand about editing and using info that supports the purpose of the story...
And my momma now knows that I DO buy R-rated movies... (Terminator SE) :)
Oh, momma....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks