USA Today posts comments from Lucas on TPM DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Simon, Sep 10, 2001.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I thought you'd all like this to help us wait until midnight tonight. I think the most interesting comment is Lucas acknowledging he may have made mistakes with The Phantom Menace...
    ---------------------
    SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — George Lucas' vision never wavered despite a series of hurdles, including a 75 mph windstorm that destroyed the set and all props, while making Star Wars, Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, according to a documentary to be released as part of a DVD.
    "I know it's going to work," Lucas assured skeptical crewmembers of the complex shoot, "because it's impossible." He did harbor worries about missteps with Phantom Menace (the second highest grossing film of all time) that could tarnish the image of the six-part saga. "You can destroy this. It is possible. I may have gone too far in a few places."
    Available in both Spanish and English, the two-disc set features six hours of additional material, including a behind-the-scenes documentary, footage not seen before and detailed information on costumes, visual effects and fight sequences. The first of the four Stars Wars films to be available on DVD, it will hit stores on Oct. 16 and sell for $29.98.
    "I wanted to do something special, and it took quite a long time, because we had to finish sequences that had been abandoned," Lucas said in an interview at his sprawling production facility at Skywalker Ranch.
    The DVD — which was a year and a half in the making — features seven new sequences that were in the original script but deleted before filming the finished version.
    "I'm very proud of the finished film, but I'm glad to have those missing scenes back," Lucas says.
    Even though he self-financed Phantom Menace, "every filmmaker ends up having to compromise in order to deal with theatrical experience."
    One solution was to gather scenes that were left on the cutting-room floor and serve them to fans. "If I can put them on DVD, I can put back in all those things I loved but which were not appropriate to put in the movie" because of length or because they interrupted momentum or tension, Lucas says.
    Additional scenes include:
    • An air taxi scene, described by Lucas as "an environmental tone poem," that has Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd) flying off in an intergalactic vehicle high above towering skyscrapers over the planet Coruscant.
    • Jedi knights Qui-Gon Jim (Liam Neeson), Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Jar Jar Binks narrowly escape with their lives when their boat dives off a waterfall in Naboo.
    • Skywalker scuffles with Greedo, the mechanic, foreshadowing both Greedo's death at the hand of Han Solo (Harrison Ford) in a later episode and Skywalker's bouts of bad temper.
    Lucas is tight-lipped about the next installment, Episode II, except to say it will be "more extreme" than Episode 1.
    Lucas sees advantages in releasing DVDs. "More and more, studios can re-cut your movies, and you get the middle-management executive's cut. Then you're going to get some very distorted views. Now the filmmaker can get his version back in the DVD process. And audiences are seeing things the way the filmmaker intended."
    So, is the DVD intended mainly for diehard Star Wars junkies or a broader audience? "We tried to have a little something in there for everybody — both hard-core fans and the general audience," Lucas says. "I put in it mostly the things (filmmakers and crew) all liked. In a way, it was for the hard-core fans, because it was for us."
    -------------------------------- http://www.usatoday.com/life/enter/m...tom-menace.htm

2. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

After reviewing this and combining it with the news from Bill Hunt, this really seems to indicate there's a better chance than we thought that an OT movie will soon hit DVD.
    [Edited last by John Simon on September 10, 2001 at 06:03 PM]

3. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Boy are you reading into that sentence! All it's saying is that of the 4 that have been released to the theaters, it's the first to be released on DVD. Anyone else read it that way too.
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Sirdvd.com
    DVD-Community.com
    [Edited last by Robert Spalding on September 10, 2001 at 05:36 PM]

4. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

5. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Perhaps I am reading into too much...but that comment mixed with Bill Hunts comment about a release date for the next Star Wars DVD seems to make me think it's going to happen.

6. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

So are the scenes put back into the movie or are they just extras?

7. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I read the Air Taxi scene is back in the movie, the others aren't.
    D
    ------------------

8. Michael St. Clair

Wow, that really sucks that two of the six movies won't get DVD releases.
    And no, I'm not going to make a smiley. Some of you people need to learn to stop taking things so seriously!
    The only news I want to know is if he'll allow us to have the original cuts of episodes IV through VI. Yes, I know that will have meant that he changed his mind. He's changed his mind before.

9. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

10. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it is just saying that it is the first Star Wars movie to be released on DVD. Of course all the rest are coming... maybe next year we'll get another (my personal feeling) or then again maybe 2006.
    Methinks George is releasing the Ep 1 DVD to drum up funds for the completion of Ep 2!! Who are you calling a cynic? [​IMG]
    Don
    ------------------

11. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Cool news. Thanks, John.
    I’m glad to see that Lucas has done what he wanted with the TPM DVD. I’m sure I’m going to enjoy it when I get my copy. I’m really looking forward to it.
    There’s one thing, however, that really bugs me. Consider it a pet peeve, if you will:

12. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Brian......what's ignorant there? The fact that he misrepresented a small vehicle in the Star Wars universe, or the fact that intergalactic travel is incredibly farfetched even for a fantasy universe? Seems a bit nitpicky either way.....
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

13. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

16. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    With regard to the reference to intergalactic travel, I know it wasn't from George's mouth, and I didn't mean to imply that it was. I apologize if it came across that way.
    As for my nitpickyness, I've already confessed to it being a personal pet peeve, so I offer no apology there. Still, the fact remains that an intelligent being has no more need to cross the intergalactic void than an earthworm has to move to a different continent, even in a fantasy universe.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the new scenes, although I think it would have been nice if all of them had been incorporated into the movie presentation the way Lucas originally envisioned it. Still, I'll take them however they come and be very happy with what looks like an amazing DVD edition.

17. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

[break in 2-year personal moratorium on Star Wars thread posting]

18. Michael St. Clair

Yeah, what is this 'more extreme' crap? Jar Jar mountain biking down a rock cliff, plummeting down into a gorge, and splashing into a river, all to grab a fresh Mountain Dew?
    I'd love to hear the words 'better written' instead of 'more extreme'! [​IMG]

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Is it me or did USA Today remove the article from their website? All I get is blank space when I acess the link.

20. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

You're right. The article looks like it was removed at 9:21 p.m. Maybe Lucasfilm asked that it be removed until midnight. Interesting....
    P.S. Lucky I copied the text in my original post [​IMG]