USA Today compares HD DVD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gabe D, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody post anything about a feature from yesterday's "USA Today": Video disc war: No clear winner, yet.

No real news here, but it is important--if only because so many people will read it. They grade each format: HD DVD gets a B+ and Blu-Ray gets a B-.

(Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it.)

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The article also states that Blu-Ray disks have more storage than HD-DVD disks without mentioning that this promise has yet to be realized.

3. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Depends on how you look at it. From a -ROM perspective, true, not yet. From a recordable perspective, very much true, and has been for almost two years now (albeit in Japan for 98% of that time)

4. Lew Crippen

Brian, the article was completely about the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats and the players. The Xbox 360 add-on and the Playstation 3 were listed as ‘to be released this year’. The article never mentioned recordable HD media, so I think that it safe to assume (especially given the general nature of the target audience) that only pre-recorded media was under consideration.

5. Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron Supporting Actor

Well, since it's already widely available in a consumer recordable format, it's more then safe to assume that commercial dual layer reproduction is a given. It's a matter of when, not if.

6. Lew Crippen

Guys, I’m only pointing out an error in the article. I’m not making a statement as to when or if 50GB BD will appear on the market.

The article mentioned that the two game platforms would each have (a different) HD format in the future. Clearly the article could also have been written to note that BD would have more storage in the future.

For the record, I have no horse in this race and will buy players in both formats (I’m a second generation adopter), if there is not a player on the market that handles both formats.

I find it interesting that in merely pointing out a minor error in an article not intended for an HD sophisticated audience, posters are coming to Blu-Ray’s defense.

Just to be clear, I did not write that there will not be 50GB BD in the future. I have reread my posts and I did not imply that there will not be 50GB disks in the future. In fact I believe that the manufacturing problems will be sorted out and that 50GB will be widely available, though perhaps not as quickly as the BD marketing arm claimed.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    It is a fairly poorly written article, but then again it's USA Today. They note things like BD gets Spy Game this week...well HD DVD did too!

- Steve

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Nothing new there, but I did noticed a tough of bias towards BD, but that's just me.

9. Shawn Perron

If it's not intended for an "HD sophisticated audience" then pointing out that dual layer BD discs aren't currently available wouldn't make much sense. I'm not so much defending Blu-Ray as nitpicking your nitpick. [​IMG]

10. Lew Crippen

What the article said was that BD had more storage than HD-DVD. Something that will probably be true tomorrow, but is inaccurate today. No mention of dual-layer or the difference in storage quantity.

For me, it was just an indication of sloppy writing—nothing major.

11. Bob Black

Bob Black Stunt Coordinator

Lew,

You are completely correct in your analysis of the article. BD absolutely DOES NOT have higher capacity as currently constituted for movie playback, and the facts stated in USA Today are very misleading. They do give the edge in performance to HD-DVD, but to imply that BD has higher capacity is a complete misconception. It would have been accurate to point out that BD holds potential for 50GB ROM discs, but that these have not materialized, nor are they announced. It might have benefitted potential buyers to also remark about the use of MPEG2 vs. VC-1. If the average Joe reads an article stating that HD-DVD is superior, currently has higher capacity & better codecs, has nearly double the titles available, and is half the price of the competition, then it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to deduce the better format.

And don't start about potential, -- both formats had several years to get their sh*t together and only one came prepared.

12. Shawn Perron

It doesn't just hold the potential for 50GB discs, it actually supports them. Sony has announced Black Hawk Down and The Bridge on the River Kwai will be delivered on 50GB discs later this year.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I wanted to throw up after reading it and realizing that this is how several hundreds of thousands potential conusmers will be getting their formative information.
    In my experience its more like HD DVD gets an A- and Bd gets a C.
    the player issues dissolve like sugar in water with each pasing firmware upgrade, while the biggest issue remains scattershot distribution and retail presence.
    on the other hand Bd is overwhelmingly medicore and in no way that I can see even approaches justifying its $1K buy-in price tag. And if you throw that out say "well the PS3 will be considerably less than $1K" then you have to say- forget about Bd entirely until you can buy a PS3.

A poorly researched and written article that makes me ashamed of how much else, when the subject is something I'm not personally interested in, I actually take for granted as accurate when I read it in print.

14. Manus

Manus Second Unit

" Sony has announced Black Hawk Down and The Bridge on the River Kwai will be delivered on 50GB discs later this year."

Sony also said CDs would provide #perfect sound forever # [​IMG] They also said Bluray was ready [​IMG]Where does this undying belief andd trust in anything Sony say come from ? And what use is greater capacity when poorer codecs are being used ?
    As a HD neutral, it really is frustrating when the (usually Bluray) nitpickers start accusing everyone else of nitpicking ! And now, back to my SD-Dvd Crt reality [​IMG])

~M~

15. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

It cracks me up how consumers completely shoot themselves in the foot. Blueray deserves at best a C for providing worse or no better picture quality than HD-DVD for double the price! The press should be lauding Toshiba for introducing this technology at such a great price, and challenging Sony to prove its worth.

16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

Unless you're just using a theoretical example (which you may be) that is not correct. Paramount's HD DVD of U2: Rattle and Hum is encoded using AVC are are most of the Japanese HD DVDs.

Sorry if you were just making up a theoretical example to make a point. But either way, I just wanted to clarify that info.

P.S. Hope you won't say now I'm nitpicking too. Just being accurate. [​IMG]

17. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Um, one side has yet to issue an actual player if you want to nitpick about that.

Using a modified HTPC to get the thing on the market, and then firmware update after firmware update is NOT how the other CE makers want to do, no matter how good the result is. They are in the business of making money. Samsung stumbled somewhat out of the gate, but you can be sure Panasonic and Pioneer will have their "sh*t" together (as you so elegantly put it) next month when their players hit the market.

I'm also wondering what next "attack" point will come into play once the BD50s are on the market (lines are up and running, just haven't pressed anything for consumers yet). Price? PS3...Quality? VC-1 discs on the way...

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

BD50 production in quantity is ready? I'd like to see an official source that confirms that. Until and unless you do, your statement would be nothing more than hopeful speculation.

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Could you please direct to me a source where SONY directly says that Bluray was ready for release. I would like to read that statement. SONY would all ready have a player on the market if they truly believed that Bluray was ready for release. It is obvious that SONY has decided that Bluray is not ready for market since they have delayed the release of their initial product until October.....or thereabout. SONY's press release, regarding their player, even left the door open for further delays. That certainly does not sound like a company saying that "Bluray was ready".

20. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

The "perfect" meant that the CDs would sound the same the millionth time as the first time you listened to it, with no added noise. Which was very different from LPs, which were the defacto standard of the time.

I still have many CDs from 1986 (when I first started collecting them), they sound the same for all intents and purposes (nonwithstanding improvements in player tech, D/A converters, etc).