What's new

US theatrical-release films not on DVD (1977-present) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Burning- a slasher movie from 1981. Not surprisingly, it's a lousy movie but it has a young Jason Alexander is in it (you can see what George looked like with hair) and Holly Hunter is in a little but of it and it had special effects by Tom Savini.

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i don't think "the reincarnation of peter proud" has been on dvd.

saw it when i was younger on tv and even then i could tell it had been

heavily edited. would love to see it intact.:)

not sure of the date, but it had to be in the '70's

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
ELECTRIC DREAMS is now owned by Warner Bros., as it's a pre-86 MGM release. And while WB is generally good about preserving original music on their DVD releases, I suspect that they are taking a wait-and-see approach on this in order to determine if demand will be large enough to justify paying what will no doubt be high music clearance fees.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I did. I have an x-rental vhs luckily. It has damage so I wish I had that showtime channel to get a new copy. I'd planned to digitize, repair and then burn my copy someday. But I keep hoping it'll appear officially before I get around to it.

/only fooling self

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I'll second Nightwing and Foolin Around

What I really want is Carny with Jodie Foster, why this isn't out yet I have no idea.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, Carny and Foolin Around. Great choice. I have Carny on VHS but it's recorded in mono. :frowning:

Another one...

Jekyll & Hyde....Together Again! (1982) I wish I'd bought the VHS for less than 20 bucks when I had the chance. Now it's $50+ :frowning:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Did anyone mention the musical remake of Lost Horizon? I know it predates 1977 (it's actually 1973), but I'm dying to see how truly awful this film is.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

The Human League asked to have that song taken out of VIRGIN after the theatrical release (I don't think it was even on the VHS), since they didn't care for the film. They shouldn't have such objections to the PG rated ELECTRIC DREAMS.

Heck, they are licensing "Don't You Want Me" to be sung by chocolate chip cookies in that new TV ad.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the info Walter!

I checked and the region 1 DVD of Moonlighting is supposed to be pretty crappy from a company I never heard of (which is probably why I didn't know it was out in Region 1) . Knowing that, I just ordered the Region 4 DVD which is supposed to be a nice widescreen transfer.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That had a DVD at one point. But they'd changed some music in it's fantastic sound track. That's why I stuck with my VHS. :frowning:

Jae_E

Agent
Not sure if all of these were released theatrically in the U.S., but here's a few more:

The Keep (1983)
The Fourth Protocol (1987)
Crusoe (1988)
Getting It Right (1989)
Paperhouse (1989)
Queen of Hearts (1989)
Hear My Song (1991)
Late for Dinner (1991)
Homicide (David Mamet - 1991)
Enchanted April (1992)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I Tivoed the Showtime airing of TERRORVISION. They actually aired a really nice letterboxed print of it. So, if MGM ever releases it (it had a MGM logo on it), the print looked really good.

Although this is the first time I have seen it in at least 10 years, and the film has not aged well. I guess I was more forgiving when I was younger, but it was a terrible film.

And as for LITTLE DARLINGS, it hasn't been released on DVD, but even the old VHS from the 80's had that music change warning on it. And it isn't the Bellamy Brothers "Let Your Love Show" ending theme, as that has always been on the film. So, I don't know what music was changed.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's actually "Let Your Love Flow". I'm lucky. My copy has that song intact. I love the sound track. I bought a CD from Rhino records just to get the title song called "Shake it Baby". That song takes me back to before I went to high school. That Rickie Lee Jones song that plays as the buses are arriving is first rate.

I remember mom wouldn't let me watch Little Darlings. I was 13 or 14. I watched it anyway. She would've been shocked to know that I learned very little. Hell, I'd been smoking since I was 12. :D I'd...uhm, "interacted" with a girl at about the same age. I'd drank beer at the same age too! That movie just brings all that wholesomeness of my childhood back. I'll be watching it in a few weeks over vacation. Funny, I quit smoking 13 years ago, I don't drink and I'll be watching the movie alone most likely. How times have changed!

EDIT (even though my post is long enough1 Sorry): I remember a scene that doesn't appear in my version. It's a long scene that shows all the girls going in to talk to the head counsellor about what happened and there's a song that goes with it. That may be a scene added for TV viewing. I'd love to see that again.

Glad Zapped! (1980) has been listed. That's another one from around the same time that I am dying to own on DVD. I have a bought VHS but it isn't good enough. Silly comedies like this are hugely popular. And doesn't this film still run on Comedy Central? There's a huge amount of people that would by Zapped! Me included.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
As I understand, early VHS copies and the laserdisc of LITTLE DARLINGS had all the music intact. In fact, I recall the ancient "big box" editions (Paramount initially issued tapes in slightly large paper cases, like Warner Bros.) even had letterboxed credits.

It is later pressings of the movie that have removed "Let Your Love Flow" from the closing credits. Ian Matthews' "Shake It," however, still plays on the opening credits.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
The early LITTLE DARLINGS tape in the white and blue box definitely had all the music intact. I've had the later hi-fi red box re-release, but never checked it to see if the music was intact or not - apparently, it may have been changed for that version.

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
these may be worthwhile movies, but again, i wanted to focus the list on movies that were released nationwide, not foreign films released in just a few select theaters, which these appear to be. i'm including hamlet in the list however

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

The later pressings also had "Let Your Love Flow" on it. As far as I can tell, that song was never removed from any version of it. It is other songs that were taken off it.

Sort of like Paramount's release of John Sayles "Baby It's You". The tape also has the "Some music has been changed" yet it still contains all the Bruce Springsteen songs that the film was known for. It is other music that was changed. Has that ever made it to DVD? If not, it should.

And another Ronald Maxwell / Kristy McNichol film not on DVD, THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA from 1981. Very good film, but it may have music rights issues, since it is about a brother and sister country music act. Also with Dennis Quaid and Mark Hamill. Fox released it on video in the very early 80's, but never reissued it. I found a Canadian VHS on Ebay years ago, but it seems the film has disappeared. Haven't seen a TV airing in 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks