US Superbit versus Japan Superbit

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tan Ng, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Tan Ng

Tan Ng Stunt Coordinator

Is there any difference between them?

2. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Yah...japan has a lot more titles.

Otherwise, nope.

3. AlexBC

AlexBC Second Unit

And waaaaay much better looking covers

4. Tan Ng

Tan Ng Stunt Coordinator

I mean video and audio. Any difference?

5. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Umm...nope. None. Superbit is superbit is superbit. There's no difference in quality between regions. Why would you want the Japanese version unless it's not available here? Do you enjoy throwing away money?

6. Tan Ng

Tan Ng Stunt Coordinator

CRaig
    hahaha

I don't think so. I was just wondering why superbit of Japan cost more than US superbit if they are the same

7. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

ALL dvd's in japan cost more. Doesn't have much to do with quality. It's just the way it is. There was a thread discussing the cost of japanese DVD's recently. You might want to check it out.

8. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams

Well, pop over to http://www.dvdbeaver.com and take a look at the comparison between "Bram Stoker's Dracula" to see a difference between the R1 & R2 Superbits. R1 looking sharper!

9. AlexBC

AlexBC Second Unit

Bleddyn

But that it's a whole different matter, you are comparing PAL stuff with NTSC. NSTC superbits are all the same no matter where you get them (R1, R2 jpn, R3 or R4 South America) and so are the PAL ones (R2 EU or R4 Aus). And I think that's what Craig meant with Superbit is Superbit.

10. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

It has (unfortunately) been this way for the past twenty-five years...I got hooked on Japanese imports in my 45/LP buying days, and suffered through the same thing with CDs and now DVDs. But there are things available there that may never be released here (Columbo!) and they always look as cool as hell!!!

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams

Could be, but while I'm sure the NTSC editions are all the same, and the PAL editions uniform too, I was pointing out that ALL Superbits are not the same, as apparently the NTSC & PAL editions are different. Craig just stated that "Superbit is Superbit" - which did not differentiate between PAL & NTSC editions.

12. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Craig needs to get his facts straight. Whe talking about said superbit titles, of course the NTSC will be the same with only .01 to .04 of a difference in Bitrate quality. Same with PAL. Only major problem I find with Superbit is the static menus. Oh, well. You gotta sacrifice the menus for kick ass picture and sound. BTW, only the packaging is the only downfall to Superbit, especially with the godawful BBFC rating on the front of UK R2 titles. Give me Region 1 for not messing up the front cover, the BBFC rating completely distracts from an otherwise nice cover most of the time. Gonna have to make a custom cover job for David Lynch's DUNE 2-Disc when I get it, which will probably be streeted over there on my birthday, April the 5th, correct?

13. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

My facts straight? Sorry...my facts were correct. This thread is about superbits FROM JAPAN. All are NTSC and the same masters as the US versions.

So YOU, my friend, need to re-read this thread. We're not talking about PAL at all because Japan doesn't use it.