1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

US Saturn import capabilities?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory R. B., Mar 13, 2002.

1. Cory R. B.

Cory R. B. Stunt Coordinator

I have a US Saturn and want to play Japanese games. Is this possible? What type of accessory would I need to do this?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There's two ways to get Japanese games to work on a US Saturn.
    1) mod the Saturn
    Not as hard as it sounds, not as easy as the GameCube mod. Changing the country code on a Saturn is relatively easy - you add a button, hook it up to a few points, and you're sorted. This lets you change the 'region' of the Saturn & allows you to play Japanese games. It will NOT let you play pirated games.
    2) buy a 'ST Key'
    This involves spending some cash. Basically, it's a cartridge that sits in the memcard slot on top of the Saturn. It allows you to play Japanese/USA games on any Saturn. There's various models - there's ones that only do this, plus others that also act as memory cards & "4MB expansion" cards which is VERY useful if you want to play the later Capcom or SNK games like XMen vs Streetfighter or the KOF games which require the memory expansion.
    You can buy these carts relatively inexpensively from the likes of NCS. I can probably dig up a link to the modding if you're interested.
    Personally, my 'old' UK Saturn was modded like I describe & it was real useful. My current Saturn's a grey Japanese unit (as I mostly play Japanese games on it) but I've got a cheap converter cart for playing the occasional bout of Last Gladiators.
    Hope that was helpful! As to your game search - out of your US games listed, you should be able to pick up most of them for cheap... The exceptions are PDS, Burning Rangers & Guardian Heroes. But I'm sure you knew that already.

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

why not just buy a Jap Saturn as they are not expensive at all and are very easy to find.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

All you need is 4 lengths of wire and a 4 terminal switch. Drill a hole in your case for the switch and then all you have to do is use an X-acto to cut the trace between 2 jumpers and solder the wires on

Takes 15min, I did it and I suck w/a soldering iron.

The converter carts with the 4MB card built in are unreliable, so just mod your system and use the original CAPCOM cart

5. Cory R. B.

I found this at NCS:

Item Action Replay 4M Plus | RESTOCK SOON

Manufacturer EMS

The perfect complement to any Saturn console. Said device includes:

4MB Back-up ram for game data saves, settings, rankings.

4MB Data ram for games that require 1M or 4M ram expansion (Vampire Saviour, etc).

All territory converter Play any and all USA, JPN, and EUR Saturn games.

Pro-Action Replay cheat code function for hustlers.

Comms Link owners may transfer PC data to the PAR by parallel port.

Does that look good? It doesn't say if it works on a US Saturn, but I think it does. They also had the plain ST-Key, but this one has all the extra memory.

6. Jeff Kleist

I have that cart, it's unstable and doesn't work will all the 4MB games

Trust me you're better off modding, cheaper too!

7. Cory R. B.

I have no idea how to do the mod, and I don't have anything like a soddering iron or whatever it is, so it'd probably be more expensive. Plus, don't I need the 4MB for games anyway?

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

again just buy a jap saturn, I saw one the other day at a shop for $35...I would have bought it if it was the white saturn as thats the only one I'm missing.

9. Jeff Kleist

email [email protected] and I'll send you the instructions
    A soldering iron and solder will run you $6-7 at the hardware store
    The 4MB cart comes with the games that need it (though there were versions w/o it released)

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

While modding the Saturn is relatively easy, it doesn't get any easier than dropping in an Action Replay cart.

I've had no issues with it whatsoever. And the 4MB RAM, Gameshark-like hacking, and save features would be a bonus for you.

BTW, I think the Action Replay/Saturn interface is (was) the best thing going for game hacking. I wish this style would have caught on. Booting through a hack software, then swapping out for the game disc is tedious. This is the way to go.