What's new

US release DVD VS Canadian release DVD (1 Viewer)

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 2 disc Great Raid: Director's Cut at Future Shop. The DVD only came with a chapter insert. It didn't come with a book.

Sten F

Second Unit
Noticed DVDImport has SAW for a low price. No mention of DTS, though.

Question: Is there any differenece betweeeb the US & the Canadian DVD release?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The Uncut SAW version commonly sold here has dts-ES, it's the same as the U.S. version. Don't know about the other version of Saw.

Re The Great Raid DC: A purchaser said he got a book. It isn't mentioned at all on amazon.com where he bought the disc, nor did anyone else mention it. You can't see the "book inside" label anywhere in amazon's pic. It may be very limited, I don't know.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Joseph. JIC there was any doubt, that's the one to get! I like the US cover better too, at least from the pics.

I was slightly concerned re the book, because for Deluxe Batman Begins they shipped some copies without the book...the book wasn't mentioned at first on their site, so they could ship with or without it with no finger-pointing. I guess.

It may be moot now, as I notice they are out of stock today. Hopefully will get more.

Edit: ^ that didn't last long, only out of stock for a day.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the (sadly bilingual) Transporter 2 release. There is no mention of DTS on the box, but I can't find if the US release is supposed to have it.

Probably not worth mentioning, but I know some folk like to know such things.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
No dts for the U.S. either. I'm waiting for the 2-pack of the Transporter SE's with dts. There better be one!

Michael gave the Transporter 2 DD a pretty good rating, but you should read it for yourself.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I am A-OK with DD, just wanted to confirm the US and Canadian releases were the same or if I needed to update the list.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
One of the reviewers on TheDVDForums has reported that their review copy of Lord of War (due out next week) which is the Canadian release from Alliance has an AR of 1.78
This is not the OAR from its theatrical release as that was 2.35 (was when I saw it) and is what is listed on IMDB.

Can not find any reviews or aspect ratio spec for the US release from Lions Gate.

May be a case like Recruit and Once Upon a Time in Mexico the AR has been opened up from 2.35 to 1.78 for DVD
But until that is confirmed for the US release as well, should be a case of buyer beware.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Is that not odd it's got an Alliance label? Lately, aren't most Lion's Gate releases Maple in Canada? I can't remember, just recall many of them are, and know that Maple is a spin-off of LG in Canada.

Edit: just checked, it is from Maple. It has dts 6.1, and a quoted AR of 1.78.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
The screener copy I watched I swear was 2.35:1

Will have to check out the DVD when I get it. Perhaps a packaging error?

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone from Canada was thinking of getting the Unrated version of Sliver thats coming in April, better put your order in at amazon now. It WILL NOT be available in Canada. Only the regular R-Rated cut.

Is there really even a point to buying canadian anymore? This is beyond ridiculous.:frowning:

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Not that I'll be buying Silver anyway :)

Trying to confirm if this is indeed true. If it is released, we'll get a UNCENSORED version... (as they don't use UNRATED)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I haven't been able to find the Dune Extended Edition in local stores yet (??). Does anyone know if the Canadian release has the same metal case as the U.S. version? Thanks. Oddly, amazon.ca doesn't list this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks