US Post Office On-Line Bill Pay Horror Story

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Tennison, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I used US Postal Service online bill pay for 6 months. Had no problems. Then, they changed the way they paid my bills. They started issuing draft checks written on my account. Come to find out, they never tested this to make sure it worked, and they did not have the complete account number required for checks to be processed. It worked fine for electronic transactions (which they had done for the last 6 months), but as soon as they put that number on draft checks, I had 6 payments returned. I didn't even know about it because the payments didn't hit my checking account, because of the bad number. I found out what happened, and called them to let them know. I explained exactly what happened with the incorrect account number on the checks they drafted.
    To add insult to injury, 5 days after I explained exactly what happened, they sent me a letter saying the reason for the problem was insufficient funds. NOT! They didn't even read their own notes before blaming me. It wasn't insufficient funds. It was their failing to test to make sure that draft checks would work.
    They refused to take any responsibility for this. They acknowledge that they had never sent draft checks before, but claim it was my responsibility to make sure that all the methods they would use would work. How was I supposed to do this when they had never made a draft check before? I asked that they close my account.
    Guess what? They didn't close the account. They charged me the $6.95 fee for the next month. When I disputed the charge, they said their records didn't show I requested the account be closed. They acknowledge that they have made mistakes in the past, but won't refund the $6.95 to me, because they cannot prove I requested the account to be closed. So, because their incompetent phone person didn't type it in my notes to close my account, I get hit with fees.
    The whole experience has been a nightmare. I have spent almost 40 hours correcting their mistake, which they won't own up to. Avoid them, friends. It may run smooth for months or years, but when they screw up, it's huge!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Well, for what it's worth, I can highly recommend PayTrust.

We've been using them for a year and a half. All our bills go there and are paid automatically and on time. They even notify me if they THINK I should have received a bill that didn't come. (Our insurance and lawn bills don't come every month.)

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I did not even know the USPS offered such a service. I would be much more inclined to trust an entity that deals in this more as part of their primary business, though. Let the Post Office deliver the mail, and let the financial institutions handle your financial transactions.

I used Checkfree through Quicken for many years without any problem, and now use Bank One's online banking via Quicken. I can imagine your anger, Randy. There are few things a business could do that would upset me more than screwing up my financial accounts and/or transactions.

4. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

I've been using the Postal Service's bill paying program for years. Write a check, put it in the envelope, add a stamp, drop it in the mailbox. [​IMG]

5. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I know it's not a lot of money, but I'll bet if you write to your Congressman or Senator, the PO will suddenly "discover" their mistake and send you a refund.