What's new

US Open 2008 - Golf (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's ridiculous that he played on a left leg with a torn ACL, stress fracture(s) on the tibia, and trying to heal from scraped out cartilage in the knee, and yet he still manages to not only complete 4 rounds of the US Open, but he gets into a 19-hole playoff for a 5th round and wins the US Open, all on one good leg. This is nuts.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I like the fact that Tiger knew these problems existed, but said he wanted to keep it quiet out of respect that the US Open should be receiving the publicity, not his knee.

"I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week, and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time. I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open," Woods said on his Web site. "Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Heard about Tiger's need for additional surgery at work today - and of all things, from someone who'd had their ACL done last year. The unanimous opinion was that this ranks right up there - both in accomplishment and in class. Between telling the doc "I'm gonna play in & win the U.S. Open", actually doing it, and all the time keeping as quiet as possible about all his potential excuses just marks him as the consummate professional. Just an amazing and inspiring accomplishment.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There's been lots of talk on the news around here about the local effect of Tiger's injury sabbatical. He'll be missing the Buick Open, the PGA Championship (held this year at Oakland Hills), and has canceled next week's golf clinic which was scheduled at Comerica Park before the start of the Buick Open. While attendance should not be affected at the PGA since it's a major, there will probably be a much smaller turnout at the Buick Open now. Attendance at this event varies dramatically depending on whether Tiger plays or not.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
With respect, I have my doubts. Tiger Woods is great, but he's not bigger than the game of golf. Nearly all major golf events sell out effortlessly - generally it's the weather that is the key determinant of how many actually turn up. I agree that smaller tournaments may be affected.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Yep. But TV ratings will be down. Every tournament where he's in contention to win has higher ratings then tournaments were he isn't in contention. And the rise in ratings isn't small, it's pretty big. So, while tournaments won't feel the heat, CBS will.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Good point. I wonder how much it will affect UK figures for the British Open? Possibly they might go up - more chance of a Brit winning. ;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Good point. I wonder how much it will affect UK figures for the British Open? Possibly they might go up - more chance of a Brit winning. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks