What's new

US Open 2005 (Tennis) (1 Viewer)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

I always felt the opposite. The media liked Agassi's personality so much more than Sampras that Sampras's achievements became common place, whereas Agassi was celebrated every time he won. Martina Hingis' short but brilliant career is also often forgotton in the midst of the Williams sisters and the Russian babes.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
For you guys who actually watched the match: Dids Pierce's 12 minute time-out appear legit or was it just gamesmanship to throw Dementieva off?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
She went into the match with an injury but she didn't want her opponent to know, that's why she wasn't taped up.

Whether we believe that after the fact is another story.

Mary is known for playing EXTREMELY slowly,but I still think it was gamesmanship, and completly legal too.

Brent

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Seems like it's always feast or famine with Pierce, and she was really bad tonight. But there's no doubt at all that Clijsters earned every bit of this championship, and it's a great story with her coming back from the serious injury last year, as well as winning her first slam after contending for so long. I guess the not-so-coveted "best player without any major championships" title now moves to Dementieva, with maybe a bit of a case for Mauresmo.

Amazing tennis from Agassi in the fifth set today. But Federer has beaten him 7 straight times, and Federer has also won the last twenty two(!!) finals he's played in. I don't think either of those streaks will end tomorrow.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Too bad Andre ran out of gas in the 4th set, but what an incredible first three sets in that final! Remarkable gut check by Federer to come back from 4-2 down in the 3rd. The crowd would have gone beyond berserk if Andre had gone up 2 sets to 1.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I know Andre was down 5-1 and 40-0 in the fourth set, but it seemed like he just gave up on the last point and intentionally hit it out. Anyone else think so too?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I didn't think he intentionally hit it out, but I don't think he was trying any more at that point...just hitting the ball.

I'm sorry Andre didn't take that third set. We might have seen a different result if he had. Maybe.

Anyone besides me think he's going to retire now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks